The School in the Wicker?

dont know maiden name but do know she ended up living on the arbourthorne on atherton road just above my aunt most of the wicker families ended up on arbourthorne when they pulled their houses down Iwas talking to my sister today and she said another of lilians sisters also lived on atherton road but she cant remember her name

my nan was may queen in the 1920's at this school

Hi Retep,

Yes, that's the building. In my childhood, a paper supply company had most of the ground floor. The rest was used mainly as Sunday School rooms and by the 158 (Holy Trinity) Scout Troop and Cub Pack for meetings. One room even had a full size snooker table.

The upstairs was used as the Church Hall with a stage, movie projection room and a small kitchen in one corner. In WWII and for a short time afterwards, the church used to have regular film shows there, including a Saturday afternoon show for the local kids.

On the end, facing Johnson Street, the part painted white and the floors above, was the home of the church caretakers: A family I think was called Walker.

Brings back a lot of memories.

Thanks

Your description brings back memories Falls. A few of us lads from the Hayward Road area would somtimes go to those film shows. I also remember a Scout and Cub troop there, but I'm darned if I can remember the color of the neckerchief. I can remember the 'Congs' and Pitsmoor and St Philips, but can't remember Holy Trinity.

Your description brings back memories Falls. A few of us lads from the Hayward Road area would somtimes go to those film shows. I also remember a Scout and Cub troop there, but I'm darned if I can remember the color of the neckerchief. I can remember the 'Congs' and Pitsmoor and St Philips, but can't remember Holy Trinity.

You've got me guessing now. I think the neckerchief was basically a beige/sand colour with a red border.

Dont know why I have trouble remembering the colour. After all, its only SIXTY YEARS since I left the scouts.

Regards

Sixty years or not I think you've got it right. I think they had khaki shirts also, where other troops wore the blue wool ones or jersys.

Sixty years or not I think you've got it right. I think they had khaki shirts also, where other troops wore the blue wool ones or jersys.

Didn't all scouts wear khaki shirts? Blue jerseys sounds like the Life Boys.

You're right Jim, but Pitsmoor Scouts wore jerseys, at least when I was a member.

Jim, don't you mean the Boy's Brigade?

Hi,

When I was in the cubs (say 1945-49) we wore blue jerseys and the Scouts shirts and shorts were blue.

I know there was a change to Khaki, but don't know when this happened. Maybe sometime in the mid 50s or a little later.

Regards

Jim, don't you mean the Boy's Brigade?

The Life Boys were to the Boys' Brigade what the Cubs were to the Scouts. You must have seen them here.

Hi,

When I was in the cubs (say 1945-49) we wore blue jerseys and the Scouts shirts and shorts were blue.

I know there was a change to Khaki, but don't know when this happened. Maybe sometime in the mid 50s or a little later.

Regards

I think the Cubs must have swapped to green jerseys about the same time. Mine used to double up as a goalies jersey.

Trinity Sunday School is still there though up for sale and no doubt demolition.The Overends were medical and legal people at the other end of Sheffield.