Clun street & Road Pitsmoor

Hello, I'm not from Sheffield but my Dad was and he remembered living on Clun Road. I think he said it was no. 9. Unfortunately I can't ask him, he passed away early January. However, I do have it wrote down... somewhere! He was born in 1921 but it was probably mid 1920's and during the 1930's. Dad's parents were called Fred and May Ward, Dad's older brother was Ted (Edwin) then there was Dad - Arthur, Doris, Ronnie, Ken and Eric. Anykind of knowledge or even any photo's of the family or house will be appreciated. Thank you in advance. :-)

=====================

Hello Polly, re the photos suggested to you on the Sheffield photos site, one of the photos number s14483 shows the opposite side of Clun Road from where your family must have lived. Juke's china shop was on the opposite corner to number 9. All the houses on the road had 2 windows & one front door on the road side, it was different on the back side, they all had 3 stories. My family lived at the top end near to the "top shop" shown with Alice Kendrick standing outside.

The other photo shown number s16512 shows the corner very near or next to where your family must have lived.

sheffsueme

====================

Thank you Sue for your help. That's how my Dad described the house, being 3 stories high. :-)

Hello, I'm not from Sheffield but my Dad was and he remembered living on Clun Road. I think he said it was no. 9. Unfortunately I can't ask him, he passed away early January. However, I do have it wrote down... somewhere! He was born in 1921 but it was probably mid 1920's and during the 1930's. Dad's parents were called Fred and May Ward, Dad's older brother was Ted (Edwin) then there was Dad - Arthur, Doris, Ronnie, Ken and Eric. Any kind of knowledge or even any photo's of the family or house will be appreciated. Thank you in advance. :-)

----------------------------------

Hi Polly Bea, I have access to some old photos from Clun Rd & if you send me a private message we can exchange email addresses. sheffsueme

or you can search for yourself at http://www.picturesheffield.com/

I remember playing in a trio at the Clun Road Club in the 60's

I remember playing in a trio at the Clun Road Club in the 60's

If this helps, the 'Clun Road Club', to give it it's proper title: Burngreave (Working Men's ) Club and Institute, was at 24 Clun Road. -later re-locating to Gower Street-There was is also, Burngreave Liberal Club (Brunswick Road) and Burngreave Conservative Club, Melrose Road/Burngreave Road junction.

My name is Karen rogerson, I lived on clun road, I went to ellesmere and burngreave school anyone remember ??

I lived on Ditchingham St next to Clun St. I can remember a couple of the houses on Clun St having double entries that led on to Gower St I think one had the news agents at the end. Clun St was demolished before Ditchingham and we used the land for some of the bonfires we had and There was no shortage of wood & furniture from the empty houses in the area So the ones we built were huge.

Edited by hobinfoot

i remember ray wild, he used to hang around with a guy called Gary Mitchell who lived on ellesmere rd. The name Briddock rings a bell, was it glyn briddock, becuase he knew Mitch as well

Yes Ray Wild lived opposite me on Petre Street i lived at 266, and he did know Gary "Mitch" Mitchell as all use Blades do :thumbsup:

I seem to think that Glyn or Glen Briddock was a relation to Mitch ? Cousin or Summat.

I lived on Clun road which I believe was further up from Clun street with my family when I was a nipper from the early 60´s to the clearances in the 70´s.Our family name is Elliott which was also the name of the family next door they had five kids and we were three brothers a bit of a clan really.

Elliot as in Steve, Mark, Carol ?

---------- Post added 08-02-2018 at 17:00 ----------

I lived on Clun road which I believe was further up from Clun street with my family when I was a nipper from the early 60´s to the clearances in the 70´s.Our family name is Elliott which was also the name of the family next door they had five kids and we were three brothers a bit of a clan really.

Are you of the Elliot family with Steve, Carol, Mark ?

---------- Post added 08-02-2018 at 17:04 ----------

Wow - you were my neighbour ? I'm Robert Ford !

Anyone old enough to remember any Downing family from Clun st. then onto Gower st. The dates would be from1880s to around 1930s. .?