Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

Hi ya Brian1941,

The home my sister was at was definitely across town, she occasionally brought a small boy to our house, in S5, for tea. I believe. the home was only for very young children.

i have just checked what i have so far he was in house 2and he was admitted 17/10/1940he was born 6/1/32so that would have made him about 8 when he entered the home

alanMN my parents live in s5 where about did you live they lived around the shiregreen estate my dad got in contact with his mother who lived round there and i think thats where he went to live when he came out of home

hi brian 41 could you help me i am trying to get some info on my dad and his brothers his surname was thomas there was 4 of them he was put in the homes when he was 5 and left when he was able to work he went on to a farm my dad was alf hid brothers was gordon graham and brian i think my dad was oldest of them he would have left around the end of the 40 s

------------

Hi Crazy, sorry i cant help you, seems i move in the home in the 40s

as you family left, theirs a flyer on this thread that might know sumut he

knew lots of people and he was in there earlier than me.

thats the house he was in acording to what i have been told but i will check again

thank you

yes then I knew well he was older than me but we was together for 5yrs under the House mother Mss Bull i left in 46 so he'd still be there when i left

yes he was he left about 48 i just wanted to know what his childhood was he never spoke about it he died in 1993 he had suffer for years with his heart i feel that i didnt really know him when i found out about him being put in a home by his mother

yes he was he left about 48 i just wanted to know what his childhood was he never spoke about it he died in 1993 he had suffer for years with his heart i feel that i didnt really know him when i found out about him being put in a home by his mother

That sounds about right very few ever talk about the early yrs, from what i can gather things began to change after the war in46 ,your dad had two things going for him although he spent a life time in there and Bull was a nasty bit of work he was a little older and more able to cope,and a lot of farms was not to bad(we hope) ,the sea traning school from what i hear was realy bad, for me I just bury my head in the sand for 50 odd yrs and pretend it never happend i'm now 78 and still get the odd moment of reflection,I know of many who never get over it and hit the bottle pretty good, hope dad coped better, any thing i can help with dont be afraid to ask. ADRIAN CLARKE

Hi flyer, When mr&mrs Hildreth retired in 1951, then mr&mrs Brook moved into

Fulwood homes as our new superintendent thing inproved.

We had friday night pictures and saturday nights dancing both in the Assembly hall,

and not forgetting the tuck shop friday evenings as i mentioned befor.

In the summer he would hand pick some older boys from other houses and go hiking

to Edale ymca camp.

On wednesday nights he would take a few lads swimming at glossop Rd baths, his wife

took the girls some other night, you might think we had some privileges, yes i enjoyed

them.

Seems to me you missed out on loads of thing, just remind me again what was the

years you was in.

I well remember the Friday night movies (and the Saturday night dances) in the hall. Occasionally they'd show a color movie but mostly, as you said previously, they were b&w. Every now and again they would show a western which would really excite us kids. All day the following day we'd be playing cowboys and really enjoying life. Sometimes the projector would break down and we'd have to return home feeling both disappointed and cheated. I remember seeing - and being very moved by - the Cary Grant, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Sam Jaffe movie Gunga Din. We kids were blowing bugles from the summits of golden towers and saving the troops from anihilation all the next day. Actually, we were pretty well always saving the world from 'baddies' now so long ago.

BTW ...did you get my email?

thanks flyer it did affect my dad really bad he did drink a lot and he was very strict with us but i can understan a bit better why he was like he was i still dont condone what he did when we was young but he changed alot as we grew up and he was a fantastic grandad well he has found the peace he was looking for and i do miss him

Yes it would seem that you go one way or anotherI was always accused of being to soft and never laid a hand of my kids ever, now my brother who was under the vile ms Milner in #3 and took a lot of head beatings had problems for a lot of his life,nowa complete hermit

Hi Crazy 1955, I was born and lived at Bolsover Road, between Fir Vale and Firth Park until 1966.