Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

Was anybody in house No 1 - Do you remember John Walker

Was anybody in house No 1 - Do you remember John Walker

IWAS IN #2 39-46 but my friend Unwin was in 1 for quite a while i forget who was in charge at that time but i know she carry on the beatings where millner (#3)left off:(:(

I have an old photograph of my dad from 12 December 1940 when he was at Nether Green School and he was almost 13 yrs old. He told me that 3 of the boys on the photo were lads from the Fulwood Cottage Home... Philip Stead, Fred White and Harry Harrington. 3 of the girls were from the Teachers Girls Orphanage at Tapton Grange ... Betty Hardy, Astrid James and Olga Spiers.

The photo was taken when the class received their Junior First Aid certificates and badges after training by St John's Ambulance men. Within a few hours of the photo being taken, the first bombs of the Sheffield Blitz fell. One of the girls in the photo, Renee St Clere (sp), was killed that night whilst visiting her grandmother in the city centre.

hi can anyone remember my dad alf thomas he was in there with his brothers in late 30s early 40s

i have just been talking to albert sykes on phone i know him through his daughter

Hi RODNEY,

The men sat from left to right was --- mr broomhead in his younger yrs-

and (mr marshall) was odd job man working in stores and helping gardner among

other tasks,( mr crawford) made the odd appearance to the home at the office

he worked for the council in town.

next was (mr smith)-he worked in the stores, he married a member of staff and became

mr&mrs smith and took up residence at no10 house.

ps, i remember mr crawford taking holidays with us at redcar ymca camp every year,

he got a medel for saving a boys from drowning on the beach where the mothers

took us, i know i was on that beach at the time late 40s.

Back to the earlier thread regarding beatie i think i got it wrong about her hearing

could have sworn blind she could hear a bit after i back chattered her cus she

chase me down the path.

Hears a clue-- miss bower is stood three rows up, tell me.

Sorry for the 2-month delay in responding, Brian. I think Miss Bower is 2nd on the left three rows up. I haven't seen her, either in real life or in a photograph, since 1955. It's almost creepy seeing all those people from our past who are almost certainly now dead.

I was amazed that the link, at the bottom, about the 1881 census showed all the names of staff and children. 453 residents! So many more than I ever imagined, even in those days.

I've been so interested to hear all the stories on here of varied experiences of FCH. Some stories are awful about the mistreatment you endured, but some seem to have quite pleasant memories. Thanks for sharing these.

Hi ya sputnikboy, Been on the beach most of the time have yer - dont blame you,

we had snow all day in sheffield 3inch where i live.

Rodney you was spot on with miss bower, can you remember that spot on her ckeek.

Hi sputnikboy, i forgot i'd already mentioned about the spot on her ckeek in

an earlier thread, that whats it like when were getting on hihihi.

I wanted to ask did you leave the homes in 1955.