Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

hi there, the name of the home was lane end childrens home, at any one time there was around 32 kids in there, i was there with my brother & sister, up to it shutting i was the longest serving there , i had a break wen i was 12 yrs old, only lasted around 12 months then foster home got fed up with me , i had served my purpose so back i went , i did a 13yrs sentance in there , & wat you said about it looking grim from the out side , life was grim inside , all we sempt to do was clean & sleep, if weather was fine half hour play in yard on school days , bed at 5,30 , weekend few hrs in garden after a lot of work, bed at 6, i thought my self after all the years trying i wud have found some body who lived there but will keep trying , ok then thanks for reply, just got back from a long walk , dunt no wat the weather is doing over shef but raining side ways here , wish i was still on hols in florida 100 degs over there !!!!, cheers

Hi smack I was in lane end at the same time as you my name is Charles rodwell

Edited by Crod
Spelt name wrong

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Imfirmraryrd2013012_zps592f1b0e.jpg

Hiya Mate, You'll proberly remember Freds dance hall upstairs from

the 1960, lets twist again nights, good nights in there.

I is on Infirmrary rd on corner of Wood st, not sure if the building

is let of as flats above but downstairs on the front its a dancing School.

------------ :thumbsup:

tried once again to log on to photobucket no luck have to wait untill my daughter comes down ,she the computer expert

---------- Post added 30-12-2013 at 18:34 ----------

There was a children's home on Littledale Estate, next to the shops, opposite Acres Hill Junior School. Occasionally there were problems with some of the "inmates" and there was an unwritten rule for kids living on the estate that, when they walked past, they didn't look in the windows of the home! :(

Haven't the fainest idea where because we just may have been on the move from Doncaster to Sheffield but think Penistone rd ,in the days pre 40s when a lot of kids was put in temp' care while mum was having the next baby think i was about 3 must have pooped the bed because remember being gathered up with sheets and all and dumped into a bath of ice cold water my head being pushed under until i almost drown ,That'll teach the little not to poop the bed

how on earth do you remember all those names the only one I can recall is Roy Linley who started off in #2:):)

-----------------------

Happy New Year Flyer, What sort of Christmas did you have, are you

getting the same weather as in U S A its said we might get snow next

week but not the weather U S A have had.

Have a good un 2014.

Hi

It's been quite a while since I last participated on the forum although I do call in every now and again to check out the threads. The reason I'm here now is to let those that knew my sister, Glenda, from FCH know that she has cancer and is not expected to survive for too much longer. I spoke on the telephone to her daughter, Jane, a couple of days ago and things look pretty grim. while we live in the same country I haven't seen Glenda since around 1996 - we live about 1500ks apart - although we do speak on the telephone every now and again.

I felt that I should share this info since Glenda was a former resident of FCH in the early 1950s. She resided in Cottage #17 under the care of Miss Barnett.

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 01:57 ----------

Further to the above, Glenda participated earlier in this particular thread - now several years ago - as did brother, Rex, known as bresail. Since no family member here in Australia has heard any word from you in several years, Rex, nor know of your whereabouts ...would you let someone know if you happen to drop in to the forum? Thanks. The last I heard on Glenda is that they've given her 2-7 days before the cancer (dammit!) claims yet another victim.

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 00:53 ----------

Glenda (Glen as per her forum screen name) passed away this morning.

Edited by SputnikBoy

No left Sheffield at 11 i seem to remember my first dance I went to was at nearly 18 and in the army no shoes only big clob hopper boots so no dance only stood and watched never much of a dancer:D:D

----------------------

Hiya Flyer, Sorry not answered your mail but how are you going,

you said sumut about your last visit regards your eyes.

just like summer here and w/end for warm and sunny.

What weather are you having. Brian.

----------------------

Hiya Flyer, Sorry not answered your mail but how are you going,

you said sumut about your last visit regards your eyes.

just like summer here and w/end for warm and sunny.

What weather are you having. Brian.

Very slow improvement I'll be getting treatment all year weather been bitter cold with more snow than ever before ,but that serves me right for braging about livind in the banarna belt:hihi::hihi:excuse all the typos typing by quess and by god with one finger and largr magnifying glass

This is a little of my Dad's story while at Fulwood Homes.

The orphanage was called fulwood cottage homes and inside the grounds were 9 buildings, 4 for boys, 4 for girls and one for children under 7 years.

My dad and 2 of his brothers were in house 1, his older brother and sister were elsewhere.

The first night I was frightened and wet the bed, next morning Matron saw it and rubbed my face in it and thrashed me with a cane. Then I had to pick up the sheets and parade around in front of all the other kids, Matron was hoping they would all laugh at me but they didn't. All in the same boat.

At the corner of the orphanage grounds was a clump of tree's and bushes, one of the tree's had fallen making it possible to climb. Four children and myself climbed the tree and looked over the cornfields. they decided to make a run for it, I stayed back and moved the tree's away for them. I never saw those boys again.

My Dad remembers a girl called Jean Emery in the orphanage, he was fond of her and they met after the orphanage - Jean had been adopted from the orphanage.

* Just a little of my Dads memories, His memories are not all good one's *

This is a little of my Dad's story while at Fulwood Homes.

The orphanage was called fulwood cottage homes and inside the grounds were 9 buildings, 4 for boys, 4 for girls and one for children under 7 years.

My dad and 2 of his brothers were in house 1, his older brother and sister were elsewhere.

The first night I was frightened and wet the bed, next morning Matron saw it and rubbed my face in it and thrashed me with a cane. Then I had to pick up the sheets and parade around in front of all the other kids, Matron was hoping they would all laugh at me but they didn't. All in the same boat.

At the corner of the orphanage grounds was a clump of tree's and bushes, one of the tree's had fallen making it possible to climb. Four children and myself climbed the tree and looked over the cornfields. they decided to make a run for it, I stayed back and moved the tree's away for them. I never saw those boys Whatagain.

My Dad remembers a girl called Jean Emery in the orphanage, he was fond of her and they met after the orphanage - Jean had been adopted from the orphanage.

* Just a little of my Dads memories, His memories are not all good one's *

what year and what house was u in i was in #2 40-46

Please don't use text speak. It's against forum rules as many of our members need to use text to voice software that cannot make sense of it.

Please don't use text speak. It's against forum rules as many of our members need to use text to voice software that cannot make sense of it.

To whom are you talking ,if me I not aware i was useing text speak???:confused::confused::confused:

My dad was there first time - 1946, 1947 and 1948. As you said Flyer what is text talk ?????

My dad was there first time - 1946, 1947 and 1948. As you said Flyer what is text talk ?????

a bit after my time but a story i've often told during the raid 42 ish a lad was pulled out from a hit the only one alive such a shock to find out he peed the bed now that result in the parade and pasting with the copper stick this went on every day for 3years i left in 46 V.J nignt but sure the beating went on untill the bitter end from the BULL in #2. please excuse any typos being now semi blind ca't see what ive typed and I would whant to upset anyones feelings ?/:D:D:D