Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

hi Mune and Flyer

You guys must know my dad - he was on the blyth nautical school photo as well. He is 70.5 now so about the same age as you. Do you remember any cottams mune?

cottam67

Mune

What they told you about the records being sealed for 100 years is a load of rubbish. (I could use a ruder word.) They told my dad that they had destroyed them. Neither is true. The records are still there and you can get hold of them. If you check out the thread on ex-pats about FCH there is a guy called cottam who explains how to get hold of them, including the contact details of the guy responsible for them in Sheffield.

If you have any problems finding this then private message me and I will explain.

Just search for fulwood cottage homes using 'search site' option on the left-hand side and all the threads will come up.

Most of the FCH people hand out on the ex-pats threads.

:)

cottam67

Hi C67 &mune the only name that stand out like a flashing beacon is Unwin and who could forget that guy. I don't as yet know if it was W or D but I was joined at the hip with one of you going to the little village school together.I'll be 72 in Feb so the age sounds right And mune you sould have your 5 posts in by now so you can P.M. me direct for anything too personal.O and by the way I didn't go to naval school I left fulwood at 11 and later became an army man

Hi Flyer Its w unwin can you remember going down to the school in the winters in our clogs in snow up to our knees also can you remember going to church on sundays and also when every body else was getting their sweets I would be getting draged with thev super down to his office to get caind I lost count how many times that happend MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS

mune10366@blueyonder.co.uk

I have lost a lot of memories because of the abuse that we had to put up with I can remember a plane that crashed in a park nextv to a school we went to I dont know if it was unters bar There is a name that is stuck in my mind and I cant get rid of it crhistaphine Mascree I dont know if shwe was in the homes or not Can you remember Johnny Ward Ken Barton

Iff you want a 121 just use my Email

loads to talk about

regard w unwin -onion

There was a children's home on North Hill Road at Southey Green. My foster-sister lived there in the late 70s from round about when she was 7, but I don't know how long for.

Hi. I am doing a bit of family research on my Mum's side of the family. My parents are expats, though from the North riding. My maternal grandfather was orphaned at about age 2 and lived in a children's home or orphanage in Sheffield until he was about 14 or 15, when he joined the Army. I have found the family on the 1901 census but can't find anything much after that. If I could contact or search concentrating on the place he grew up, I would have a start. Many thanks in advance! :help:

Go to search, put in fch.

Skippy might be able to help.

Thanks for the info, Peterdo. I will google the name - is it Fullham children's home? and see if I get a hit. I am also wondering if the FCH was in existence that long ago (would be 1903-4 I think). I know it was a place that had a girl's side and a boy's side - and my Grandpa didn't get to see his older sister much. She actually died in the place, apparently, around the age of 10. I'll see where this takes me. Thank you!

Hi Lizanne

There was a boy's home on Broompring Lane around the time you are enquiring about.

I think they called it The Sheffield Home For Boys or The Sheffield Boys Shelter, I'm not too sure.

I do have some papers somewhere in the UK with an Address but unfortunately I'm here in New Zealand.

Maybe one of the Forummers will come up with more information.

Two members of my family stayed there until one went into the army and the other was sent to Canada to learn a trade.

To earn their keep they had o chop firewood and deliver it on a handcart to the customers.

I do hope this helps

Happy Days!

No not google here on the forum. Sorry, should have said.

Sounds a little like Fullwood, same conditions apply in 1939 when i was in for 6yrs, but I'm not sure it gos back that far, the open and close date is on expats try around page 9 i will also look

Found it page 20 in expats, Fullwood open in 1905,for further inmates storys check page 15,17,19(Unwin) for many more storys just keep on going to about page 30.Not a lot of info on Fullwood seem to be coming fm records,but try them you might get lucky.Unwins got the phone #.