Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

I think that there might have been a Dr Barnado's near Crooks. I went to Western road school in the 50s and there were some kids that lived at Dr Barnado's, that had been orphened in the war.

There use to be 2 up near bradway this is when I was at school in the early sixties. I had school friends who use to live there if I remember rightly if you went to see them they wouldnt let you in, you had to talk to your friends out side they were a funny lot up there I can see them now but cant remember the road they were on I do know if you were to get the 76 bus to lowedges and get off just past hemper lane thats past the school as the bus turns right they were at the bottom of the road that goes to lowedges. I havent been up there for nearly 40 years so everything could have changed, bus routes and the homes for the children hope this as help you out if I am wrong then sorry for taking up your time.

Theres an orphanage road at a left turning going up off lound side chapeltown im not sure if the orphanage is still there or not. But there must be lots of history behind it.

There used to be one at Todwick called Todwick Grange big mansion house also there was two out towards lodge moor there was aslo a girls remand home on the same grounds I think the kids home was called Ryegate & the remand home was called The Moss

Thanks for all your replies, there is lots there to keep me busy.

not sure i will mention the orphanage for unwanted ginger children but thanks for your help don:wink:

Dear Sunshineyday and others

What you were saying about Moorside. You are right that used to be Fulwood Cottage Homes, then an approved school type thing for girls, then housed Vietnamese Boat People in the 80s now nice houses.

There are various threads about this on the Forum in the "history and outcasts" section and photos on picture sheffield.

There's also a book about Fulwood Cottage Homes by Marjorie P Dunn, now out of print but local studies library will have one I think.

All the best

Cottam67

Originally posted by sunshineyday

Does anybody have any information about orphanages within the Sheffield area, dating back over that last 100 years.

I am doing some private study and would be interested in any information.

Hi Iwas in the fulwood cottage homes from 1946 to1949 and there is a book about the children

It is called For the love of children and it say A story of the poor childrenof Sheffield and the Fulwood cottage Homes

The auther is Marjorie P Dunn and you can get this book from W H Smiths I hope this is of help for you Iwent back to fulwood 5 years ago and it is awelldeveloped site The homes have been turned into luxery homes I was invited into one and as soon as I steped into the home I got shivers down my back and I thought I could hear my friends crying out IN the book there is a photo of me and a couple of friends in our navy uniforms I am the one on the right My brother was in there as well but this takes some believing we did NOT know each others as brothers till years later I could write a book my self about the time I was in there The last time Iasked for some records of when I was in there I was told that the records can NOT be to the puplic for 100years Best regards W UNWIN

HI s.s.d still waiting to hear back fm you,I'm sure the 6yrs I spent in Fulwood would give a tad of info.At 72 not too many of us left .

MUNE10366( sorry ssd for using your thread) you signed UNWIN this can't be the same Unwin that was in F.C.H 39-1946 did you have a brother in there at that time? did you live on big steep hill off Penistone Rd many other ?

Hi Flyer Yes that is me I am 72 in june I was in No 7 home and the mother was called Mrs Feilds . Was you in there at the same time They use to call me Robin of fulwood because I use to breack into the stores and take sweets and give them to other kids My brother was in there his name was David he has sadly passed away last year I was also in No 1 homefor a while:

yours W .Unwin