Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

Did anyone on here go to Todwick childrens Home in the eighties.

yes i went 2 todwick along with my younger brother, i started off in unit 2, then after a short stay bk home i went bk and ended up on top floor which i hate`d, i left properly when i let school (todwick school) bout 85\86. had a great time there well somtimes anyway lol.:)

Hi Duffems. Thanks so much for the Blue Coats info. I really thought I wouldn't get an answer on this. I'll certainly follow this thro' as with Sheff. Indexers, in a short while. Bye for now. Regards JG.

"The Sheffield Boys' Charity School, also know as the Bluecoat School, was established in 1706 to provide the orphan boys of Sheffield with a home and education. From 1710 to 1911 the school was located at the corner of East Parade & Campo Lane, then moving to a new building on Psalter Lane Ecclesall, now a College of Art.

The school was under strict semi-military disciple and the boys wore a blue tail coat with brass buttons, green corduroy trousers, white neckbands and blue muffin caps. Some photos are available."

Taken from "sheff-indexers" site. I believe that the admission registers are with Sheffield Archives but, they only go up to 1847.

Duffems

Threads merged.

Sorry. Dont quite understand your message. Do you require me to start another thread?

Hi Duffems. Thanks for your research. I'll get back to you with a fuller messge shortly when I've understood the above message. (I wasnt aware that ive strayed outside my O.P).

Hi Duffems. Thanks for your research. I'll get back to you with a fuller messge shortly when I've understood the above message. (I wasnt aware that ive strayed outside my O.P).

I wouldn't worry, I don't think you've done anything just perhaps that someone else had also posted about "childrens' homes & orphanages" in general so the admin. had "merged the threads" to save duplication, but, it confuses the issue as you had specifically asked about Blue Coats. Well, that's the way I see it anyway.

Regards,

Duffems

This thread has gone a bit off the original title, so its probably become the wrong place for this question.

There was a teachers orphanage at Tapton Grange at the bottom of Tapton Park Rd.

Whats a Teachers Orphanage?

Teachers' Orphanages were run by the Benevolent and Orphan Fund of the National Union of Teachers. They ran homes for the orphan girls of teachers. These were national rather than local orphanages but I don't quite know how they decided on Sheffield. Firs Hall [?Hill] opened in 1887, this was replaced by Page Hall in 1894, which was in turn replaced by Tapton Grange in 1927. Tapton Grange admitted boys too from about 1951. It closed in 1963.

--------------- hi cath,

is your doreen on forum, although i have mailed you in the past-

regards your gordon.

Would like ask her a few things.

Hope to here from you bye.

I'm new to this forum and joined because my mum has some photos of when she worked there. She worked in the nursery with babies up to about 3 years old from about 1946 to 1948/9. Sometimes she took a child home with her on her weekend off. Some individual photos are of Sheila, Elizabeth, Terry, Christine, Brian and group photos with some of the staff, Miss Hattersley, Doris, Miss Brunt or Blunt, Mr and Mrs Hildreth. If anyone is interested in seeing these please drop me a line.

Hi all,

Thanks for all this information. I just discovered that my great great aunt was a matron at Crookes during the late 1800's and this thread has been invaluable!

Elisabeth, feel free to get in touch about Lydgate lane orphanage. Thats where my G G Aunt was

Many thanks

Hello,

I have just found these postings and I am most interested in the Orphan Homes on Lydgate Lane. My ancestors were the Hoole family who lived at Hallamgate Hall. Mrs Hoole opened the orphanage in 1878. She was instrumental in finding the land and funding for the buildings. They were built on land next to Hallamgate Hall. Does anyone have any documents or photographs they are willing to share.? Hallamgate Hall was demolished to make way for the Halls of Residence, but the Orphanage is still there and is used as offices. I have been to Crookes today and found the building . The names of the cottages are still over the doors

I would be most grateful for any information ,

Thanks

Veronica

i'm new to this forum and joined because my mum has some photos of when she worked there. She worked in the nursery with babies up to about 3 years old from about 1946 to 1948/9. Sometimes she took a child home with her on her weekend off. Some individual photos are of sheila, elizabeth, terry, christine, brian and group photos with some of the staff, miss hattersley, doris, miss brunt or blunt, mr and mrs hildreth. If anyone is interested in seeing these please drop me a line.

----------------

hi gillx,

be off site a while, yes i would like to have a look at your

photo`s. Leave this with you to arrange

here from you soon, brian.

I new mr&mrs hildreth and many more staff.

Edited by brian1941
SPELLING

I'm new to this forum and joined because my mum has some photos of when she worked there. She worked in the nursery with babies up to about 3 years old from about 1946 to 1948/9. Sometimes she took a child home with her on her weekend off. Some individual photos are of Sheila, Elizabeth, Terry, Christine, Brian and group photos with some of the staff, Miss Hattersley, Doris, Miss Brunt or Blunt, Mr and Mrs Hildreth. If anyone is interested in seeing these please drop me a line.

up to at least 1946 babies were not at fullwood but Thornset they came to fullwood at 3 my sister was there I visited once or twice but it was stopped because of war time petrol, being part of Fullwood my QUESS is that the Hildreths would also visit, looking back i must say didn't care to much for the Hildreths although not cruel themselves they had to have known what was going on with some of the more evil House mothers and just chose to keep a blind eye:mad::mad::mad:

Teachers' Orphanages were run by the Benevolent and Orphan Fund of the National Union of Teachers. They ran homes for the orphan girls of teachers. These were national rather than local orphanages but I don't quite know how they decided on Sheffield. Firs Hall [?Hill] opened in 1887, this was replaced by Page Hall in 1894, which was in turn replaced by Tapton Grange in 1927. Tapton Grange admitted boys too from about 1951. It closed in 1963.

My brother and I were at Tapton Grange Orphanage between 1961-63 until it's closure. Our mother had died in 1961 and our father (a teacher) was unable to care for us. I'd like to contact other children (or staff) who were there during that period. Any ideas? Many thanks.