Dog poisoning Hillsborough Park

I can tell you now that chocolate DOES NOT kill a dog in 20 minutes. There are actually very few things that would cause this type of death.

Strychnine is the only thing I can think of but it seems very odd that they would be handling such a toxin and just handing it out to dogs in it's raw form as they would be putting themselves in danger too.

It is sometimes used to "dilute" street drugs such as heroin, LSD, cocaine but I cannot see teenagers giving away drugs when they can sell them for huge prices. Perhaps the dog found something accidently dropped on the floor and ate this?

Anyway a vet should be able to check for Strychnine poisoning by blood tests and at least that would be some proof.

It is a horrible situation for the family and I am sure they want answers but we must remember dogs get themselves in trouble sometimes. I hope the poor dog did not suffer :-(

Thanks Posiepaws it was just an idea regarding the chocolate & agree regarding what type of poison can act it 20 mins. Although 20 mins was the timescale between the lad's giving her something. Could it not also be something she'd picked up a few days before? (Just thinking along the lines of something similar to that seasonal canine disease that keeps rearing up)

I know the police are getting criticised for not taking action but im guessing they can't really until they know for sure it was a deliberate poisoning rather then an assumed one.

I really feel for the family though they must be absolutely heartbroken

The owner is 100% convinced that the boys are responsible.

He hasn't bothered taking the dog to the vets as he's not willing to pay for tests.

If these boys are responsible, then I hope they get what's coming to them. However, I'm not convinced they're guilty.

I do feel sorry for the family and the poor dog but I do think the owner is jumping to conclusions and I hope no innocent parties suffer because of this.

The owner is 100% convinced that the boys are responsible.

He hasn't bothered taking the dog to the vets as he's not willing to pay for tests.

If these boys are responsible, then I hope they get what's coming to them. However, I'm not convinced they're guilty.

I do feel sorry for the family and the poor dog but I do think the owner is jumping to conclusions and I hope no innocent parties suffer because of this.

This is truly a terrible thing to have happened, but if as you say he hasn't bothered to take the dog to the vets, Im not quite sure how he can be certain what has happened to his dog, if it were me I would want to know for sure, then I think the police may be more inclined to help

whatever the circumstances a dog has died and I am so sorry.

From what I have read of the comments on the photo of the dog he didn't want to further upset his heartbroken son by digging the dog back up and taking it's remains for testing. I can see his point but I wouldn't have buried it so fast if I had suspected poison. I personally hope he finds the right lads that did this evil thing to someone's much loved dog and kick the living **** out of them because that is exactly what I would do. The police wouldn't do anything anyway even with hard evidence. They would just get a slap on the wrist and told to be good boys. :rant:

If it was any of my much loved dog's it would have been at the vets before it died, and i would want test's done to find the cause. From some of the thing's i have read on facebook this has not been reported to the police so it would be hard for them to do anything about it. Don't get me wrong this is a horrible thing for any one to see thier dog suffer and die but facts should be clear before any thing is done.

This was my sons dog boo, and can assure you the police said there was nothing they could do other than to keep an eye out.

They also said I'd have to pay for a pm at around £700 which would only tell me what we already know, and would not offer up any of the boys that did this!.

Boo was let of the lead at the hillsbro park library and immediately was called over by three boys sitting on a bench around 20 meters from the path...

Boo being boo ran over and one of the lads bent down and passed her something to eat.

My partner then called her back as she thought she was begging which we try not to to allow.

As she ran back she was chewing on something which she then swallowed.

My partner thought nothing of it as most people wouldn't.

She was then put on the lead and walked home where she then started to drink huge amounts of water before squealing and then bleeding from her rear end, nose and mouth and then dropping dead.

She was only off the lead for the period she ran over to the lads.

Chocolate does not kill a dog in that way.

My self and my partner are responsible dog owners and to the idiot who said we should have taken her straight to the vets had we been responsible dog owners well she was dead within 5 mins of seeing the effects!

My sons best friend is dead, I love my son with everything I have and I know these people are responsible for boos death.

Now you can all speculate and accuse our story been somewhat sketchy or you can act on this by at least warning your friends and family that this does happen and to be careful.

---------- Post added 22-12-2014 at 23:31 ----------

If it was any of my much loved dog's it would have been at the vets before it died, and i would want test's done to find the cause. From some of the thing's i have read on facebook this has not been reported to the police so it would be hard for them to do anything about it. Don't get me wrong this is a horrible thing for any one to see thier dog suffer and die but facts should be clear before any thing is done.

It was reported.

And please tell me how I could get her to the vets in the time it took for the poison to show effect and the time it took to kill her!

The police have no targets for statistics on any sort of crime against a dog, so basically, as a dog owner, you're on your own. The police will not uphold the law. They have other targets to meet

I despair of all the keyboard warriors on here. Victim blaming culture is a protection mechanism whereby the blamer is able to convince themselves it will not happen to them, because it was the victim's fault. Well, if you think victim-blaming will protect your own dog, good luck

I've now had two incidents shared to my Fb. It's horrendous to think that this is happening to poor animals. Makes you think if these so called human beings could progress to actually hurting a person. They need to be fed something 'nice' !!!!!

Strix, we aren't blaming the victim! All we're saying is that without proof, the owner can not know for certain that these boys were involved. I'm not saying the dog wasn't poisoned, it certainly appears that she was. But the owner has no way of knowing how or who by.

If the owner is planning on dishing out his own 'real justice' then he needs to be 100% sure he's got the right people! And despite what he says there is no way of knowing for sure that the boys did it.

Had he bothered to take the dog to the vet and the vets tests had proved that the dog had been purposely poisoned (ie, not eaten some kind of wild mushroom for example) then I'd be a little more inclined to believe him.

Had he bothered to take the dog to the vet and the vets tests had proved that the dog had been purposely poisoned (ie, not eaten some kind of wild mushroom for example) then I'd be a little more inclined to believe him.

That's a bit harsh based on the time scales from eating to sadly passing away. Isn't enough that they are having to deal with the sad loss of a beloved pet?

Edited by gatecrasher3

Are you blind? Have I not told you that we saw the dogs run directly to them as soon as she was off the lead and then return to be put back on the lead?

And as for your troll like comment "had I bothered"

As I've said I know it was poison as a wild mushroom would not cause massive bleeding from mouth nose and rear end! Death maybe but not in such a violent way!

I honestly don't give a rats arse if you believe me, would to have preferred me not to have made this public and risk the same happening to your dog?...I think not!

I wasn't willing to pay the £700 for a PM as have I've said I know she was poisoned, and working with post mortom work in my profession I would not want to put her through more!....

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 11:20 ----------

Strix, we aren't blaming the victim! All we're saying is that without proof, the owner can not know for certain that these boys were involved. I'm not saying the dog wasn't poisoned, it certainly appears that she was. But the owner has no way of knowing how or who by.

If the owner is planning on dishing out his own 'real justice' then he needs to be 100% sure he's got the right people! And despite what he says there is no way of knowing for sure that the boys did it.

Your comments are ridiculous! Have you any idea what it was like for us to go through this!

Another keyboard warrior who wants to cause controversy and more misery whilst hiding behind their computer screen!