Low flying plane S10 (WW2?)

Hi

On my way home from work around Blackbrook Road, S10, I saw an amazing low flying plane. To my totally untrained eye if guess it was a WW2 plane, you know, dark green and old looking!! Does any one know more details about it or saw it too?

Thanks

may be a hercules, big green and 4 engines? if so, i seen it a few times in that area.

It was! Thanks for that. I thought these were WW2 planes but apparently they're still used now. Magnificent sight!

I wonder if these were the ones my wife saw in S6 today? (Tue 16th Dec14)?? She said they looked just as described here and there were two - both very low indeed.

Ditto flying along the top of the hill near Hillsborough golf club, and then out towards Derbyshire before they looked like turning towards the Mayfield Valley area.

At first sight from a distance it was a little scary to see two planes flying so low near to a built up area.

So glad there's finally a thread about this - I thought I was going a bit daft when I saw them fly incredibly low over Oughtibridge and none of my friends or neighbours saw them!

It seems they were Boeing C17 Globemaster transport planes - the UK and US airforces are using them to bring stuff back from Camp Bastion.

I was surprised about the lack of noise, it was pretty bizarre considering how low they were.

So glad there's finally a thread about this - I thought I was going a bit daft when I saw them fly incredibly low over Oughtibridge and none of my friends or neighbours saw them!

It seems they were Boeing C17 Globemaster transport planes - the UK and US airforces are using them to bring stuff back from Camp Bastion.

But the Globemaster doesn't look like a WW2 plane. A Lockheed Hercules is somewhat older having first flown in 1954 and has propellers rather than being jet powered. I didn't see the planes, but Hercules regularly do low level training flights up and down the Upper Derwent valley over the reservoirs.

I was surprised about the lack of noise, it was pretty bizarre considering how low they were.

Maybe as it's military they've done stuff to make it run quieter, so it's less obvious in hostile areas???

Could have been the Luftwaffe looking for Ladybower Dam !!!!!!!!

I did get a picture, but the plane looks minuscule and is obscured by trees. How would I upload it?

You can post up a link to photobucket, but embedded images are not allowed here :(