Can you imagine if..

It's swings and roundabouts for me some aspects of the early 1980s were good, some were shocking

The acidic Smell of coal fires

Would've been smokeless fuel though.

Was Sheffield's cheap bus fare policy still in action in the 1980's?

I remember there being much less traffic on the roads of Sheffield because of it. The voume of traffic went up considerably when it ended.

Yes, we still had 2p children's fares in the 1980s.

However, there reason there was less traffic on the roads back then was because nobody could afford a car after the Evil Baroness Thatcher closed down the steelworks

Yes, we still had 2p children's fares in the 1980s.

However, there reason there was less traffic on the roads back then was because nobody could afford a car after the Evil Baroness Thatcher closed down the steelworks

Im not sure who nobody was.We had 3 and a choice of bikes but then we worked :)

bearly any yellow lines,bus lanes,roads painted out,far far less traffic lights,no speed bumps,no speed cameras and more useable lanes at roundabouts.bliss!

The speed humps that are at the bottom of Wordsworth Avenue (where it meets Herries Rd) were there in the 80s, and I think the 70s too.

Yea but the whole area burned coal

Yea but the whole area burned coal

Outside the city boundaries, but people were changing over to gas.

Open fires were better before smokeless became fashionable. I tend to burn wood on mine most of the time as its free .

Suppose we awoke in the morning to the Sheffield of, say, 1980; I don't mean demographically, socially and politically, I mean the physical infrastructure, the roads the buildings, the shops etc. Like something out of the Twilight Zone. Would it be a good thing or a bad thing?

Sounds grim. I'd be waking up in the middle of a field about 250m from a coal mine. Have to stand around one of the burning barrels on the picket line to get warm.

The year after the Boxing Day Massacre. I'm still not over it yet! So it's a NO from me