Can you imagine if..

Suppose we awoke in the morning to the Sheffield of, say, 1980; I don't mean demographically, socially and politically, I mean the physical infrastructure, the roads the buildings, the shops etc. Like something out of the Twilight Zone. Would it be a good thing or a bad thing?

bearly any yellow lines,bus lanes,roads painted out,far far less traffic lights,no speed bumps,no speed cameras and more useable lanes at roundabouts.bliss!

Except there would also be at least twice as many cars trying to get around those roads, which would change how much bliss they were.

Except there would also be at least twice as many cars trying to get around those roads, which would change how much bliss they were.

Less time to get from A to B means fewer cars on the roads.

Mmm could visit the hole in the road again.

And spend hours in Red Gates!!

Life was short and smelly in those days, complete with disease of all kinds toothache and rickets,a nightmare to wake up to from our times, average life expectancy of 40 years if your were lucky enough to live through childhood that was :gag: I thought it said 1880:hihi:

Edited by Lobos

Life was short and smelly in those days, complete with disease of all kinds toothache and rickets,a nightmare to wake up to from our times, average life expectancy of 40 years if your were lucky enough to live through childhood that was :gag:

1980 not 1780 :)

Life was short and smelly in those days, complete with disease of all kinds toothache and rickets,a nightmare to wake up to from our times, average life expectancy of 40 years if your were lucky enough to live through childhood that was :gag:

The OP is talking about the 1980s, not the 1880s.

Or maybe you had a very tough childhood. . .

bearly any yellow lines,bus lanes,roads painted out,far far less traffic lights,no speed bumps,no speed cameras and more useable lanes at roundabouts.bliss!

Heaven . perfect. Give me that any day .

Was Sheffield's cheap bus fare policy still in action in the 1980's?

I remember there being much less traffic on the roads of Sheffield because of it. The voume of traffic went up considerably when it ended.