Free air for car tyres?

Hello everyone (first post!),

I'd like to know if there are any petrol stations which offer free car air machines near the Broomhill (S10) area?

I know some supermarkets like Sainsburys and Morrisons tend to have the free machines. I don't mind driving to find one, but closer is better.

Many thanks

Felix

Off hand, I can only think of a couple of filling stations in the S10 area - Northfield Road and Crosspool - neither of which offer free air. Best thing would be to buy a mini compressor.

Hi Felix, welcome!

I think most supermarkets have air and charge around 20p can't think of any free ones though...

A little air compressor is only a couple of quid.

Whats the point in driving across the city for free air??

Some cars come with a compressor in the boot already, if you don't have a spare tyre there's usually a can of goo and a compressor under the boot carpet.

Hi Flex, The one on Manchester road has one (although it 20 or 50p) Also the Jet on crooks has one but is 50p.

Hope this help

---------- Post added 14-12-2014 at 14:45 ----------

Sorry its Murko now isn't it? not Jet

Went to Morrisons off the Penistone Road, sadly 20p.

I know it's not much money but I don't enjoy paying for compressed air when so many places give it for free!

Thanks for the advice though

Went to Morrisons off the Penistone Road, sadly 20p.

I know it's not much money but I don't enjoy paying for compressed air when so many places give it for free!

Thanks for the advice though

Isnt that false economy? if you had gone to the one closest and paid 50p that would have been cheaper than driving to Hillsbrough wouldn't it?

(unless you were passing I suppose)

do you know where Waitrose is? their gas station (S11 8HY) has free machine.

Off hand, I can only think of a couple of filling stations in the S10 area - Northfield Road and Crosspool - neither of which offer free air. Best thing would be to buy a mini compressor.

The great thing about paying to blow up your tyres at a filling station is the owner is obliged to have the gauge calibrated and certified. Those mini compressors tend to be made in China and are generally junk.

So it really comes down to whether you think paying 20p every month is a price worth paying to know the pressure in your tyres or whether you prefer forking out £8.99 for something that may well be 10psi out when you bought it and unlikely to improve whilst in the car boot.

---------- Post added 14-12-2014 at 15:11 ----------

Talk about tight as a ducks whatsit.

20p???

Indeed. The air machines cost around £1000 and around £30/month for maintenance and calibration.

do you know where Waitrose is? their gas station (S11 8HY) has free machine.

There is Waitrose filling station at the bottom of the Moor, 100, yards from the back entrance to the store. The air is not free however.

If you ask in morrisons when paying for fuel they will give you a code for free