Council refusing to grit roads in Bradfield-Couple of accidents

The Government's idea was that cutting back on public spending would be offset by people volunteering in their communities and taking the place of the public services we used to have. This would encourage people to rely on themselves instead of wanting Government to do everything for them.

But we haven't seen the people of Bradfield getting together and organising a suitable level of gritting for their roads.

Perhaps this shows a good example of a hole in the pro-cuts argument.

Nice to see Hagg Hill on that list. I'm sure not gritting the steepest hill in Sheffield has a strange sort of logic.

Driving from Grenoside this morning to Bakewell I took my usual back route through oughtibridge, Bradfield, Stannington etc... No sign of any grit anywhere but plenty of ice on the roads an three crashed cars. Bravo SCC.

jb

Barleycorn.

From the note below it looks like a number of routes were added back in to the schedule from the list in the Star on the 02/6/14.

Crosspool roads saved from gritting axe - Posted on 22 August, 2014

Back Lane from Crosspool to Rivelin is a road which will now be gritted

Several Crosspool roads will be gritted this winter following the results of a public consultation into winter road maintenance.

Council chiefs have changed their mind on the gritting of 141 roads. Local streets including Hagg Hill, Coldwell Lane, Stephen Hill, Watt Lane, Back Lane and Bole Hill Road will now be included on gritting routes.

Sheffield Council Cabinet Highways Committee meeting

Edited by scargill

Nice to see Hagg Hill on that list. I'm sure not gritting the steepest hill in Sheffield has a strange sort of logic.

Driving from Grenoside this morning to Bakewell I took my usual back route through oughtibridge, Bradfield, Stannington etc... No sign of any grit anywhere but plenty of ice on the roads an three crashed cars. Bravo SCC.

jb

We were round Ringinglow it was sheet ice at 9.45 last night. Coming back into Sheffield The main road Abbey Lane was icy and ungritted.

Oughtibridge was defo gritted last night. Was gritted about an hour ago as well (this is a B road as well)

The Government's idea was that cutting back on public spending would be offset by people volunteering in their communities and taking the place of the public services we used to have. This would encourage people to rely on themselves instead of wanting Government to do everything for them.

But we haven't seen the people of Bradfield getting together and organising a suitable level of gritting for their roads.

Perhaps this shows a good example of a hole in the pro-cuts argument.

What ever happened to Mr Cameron's "Big Society" it has all gone very quiet.

I know of a grit bin just up the road from High Bradfield. I walk my dog round there regularly. The high winds you get up there flip the lid open almost permanently and the rain just floods it. The grit in there is now under 3 inches of water.

hi I have been to the northern gen today to have my 4 hours on dialysis I started at 12 noon and on my way home around 4 I saw the air ambulance fly into the northern twice during th day one came in t 2pm, another on our way home it came in again also we saw 2 big car accidents one on prince of wales road, and another on the dronfield bypass with 2 ambulances present been a bad day in Sheffield xx

A bit of grit and rock salt won't guarantee a safe road even when it's just been spread. I spend a lot of time in the Peak District and travelled out of town on Baslow Road this morning about 8.30. The effectiveness of any grit was very patchy.

Just out of Totley I found a van that had slipped up onto the verge and bent it's nearside front wing. Going from Owler Bar to Fox House I was tailgated by a large white van, so pulled over to let him pass. That road had some major icy patches which salt hadn't shifted. Other drivers coming out of town via Hathersage Road told similar stories.

Two winters ago, at night, I came across a chap who'd skidded through a dry stone wall and plunged 20 yards down a slope until hitting a very large tree. It wasn't frosty but there was a build up of grit at the side of the road. He claimed he hadn't been going fast. In the morning we looked at the pristine BMW and saw his front tyres were almost bald. Clearly he'd been going too fast on those tyres for the attention he'd been giving the road!

Drivers need to give attention to road conditions, appropriate speed, good tyres - and concentrate.

Don't go on The Star's story for priority gritting routes. Here's the latest Sheffield Council map; https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/winter/priority-routes.html When each route was covered, and how thoroughly, makes a big difference to the grit's effect.

A great help to this problem and maybe cheaper option is to provide more grit bins (with grit in please and topped up regularly) then people can diy. People on where I live regularly band together and clear the estate road to the main gritted rd ( a bus route) of snow to the benefit of all . These same minded people would scatter grit down in ice conditions . I guess now a days would need a sign on you use the contents of this bin at your own risk! What ever happened to the " snow warden" idea?

Yes we used to do this until Amey stole our gritbin, the only one for the entire top/centre section of the estate.

What ever happened to Mr Cameron's "Big Society" it has all gone very quiet.

Cameron's Big Society was supposed to mean that local groups and organisations take over the running of certain services that our councils could not afford to maintain, wasn't it?

That was all well and good until Cameron removed government funding from these same local groups . . .

All this hassle to save 100K, probably the cost of a council fact finding trip to Barbados. Love their advice to use public transport, anyone in the building trade just leave the tools in the van and get the bus,lol.