Council refusing to grit roads in Bradfield-Couple of accidents

I just find this whole issue appalling.

I have no vested interest in the people of Bradfield, I’ve probably driven through there three times in the last ten years so I’m more or less unaffected by this.

However, if the cost of keeping their roads gritted and people safe is £2000, and there are half a million people in Sheffield then it works out at less than half a pence each per person.

So first of all the cost to grit is minute, then when you factor in that it will cost us more to not grit the roads in terms of Insurance Premiums, Emergency Services and disruption to normal daily activities then the argument becomes even more bizarre.

Simple answer to the Council, find the money and get the roads gritted and to those whinging about the cost pay your less than half a penny and shut up about it.

Absolutely ridiculous, it’s shows the stupidity of the Governments cutbacks and the political game-playing of the Council.

As pointed out already, whether it costs more money in the long run is irrelevant if they are firefighting budget cuts. If the man in charge gets given a set amount to grit roads, then he uses it in the best way possible. They produced a plan and thats what they have gone with. If its only £2k according to you, then perhaps thats something the parish council could pay for? If they havent got the money they havent got it to spend.

There was a recent thread on here asking about views towards paying a few pence more in council tax to save some of the services hat will be cut and it got an overwhelmingly negative response from posters on here. Residents of Bradfield will have to get used to the new ice age, just like other areas that are no longer gritted. The priority will always be the main roads, which are used by the most people.

A great help to this problem and maybe cheaper option is to provide more grit bins (with grit in please and topped up regularly) then people can diy. People on where I live regularly band together and clear the estate road to the main gritted rd ( a bus route) of snow to the benefit of all . These same minded people would scatter grit down in ice conditions . I guess now a days would need a sign on you use the contents of this bin at your own risk! What ever happened to the " snow warden" idea?

The farmer said they had asked how much to buy grit bins so they could grit the roads and the council refused to give them the price for some reason.

I once asked to buy a grit bin and myself and my neighbours would buy our own grit/salt but told this was not allowed. There's no negotiating with the council.

I once asked to buy a grit bin and myself and my neighbours would buy our own grit/salt but told this was not allowed. There's no negotiating with the council.

Theres nothing to stop you buying your own grit bin, they are widely available.

As pointed out already, whether it costs more money in the long run is irrelevant if they are firefighting budget cuts. If the man in charge gets given a set amount to grit roads, then he uses it in the best way possible. They produced a plan and thats what they have gone with. If its only £2k according to you, then perhaps thats something the parish council could pay for? If they havent got the money they havent got it to spend.

But this is the whole problem with the people of this country. We sit back and let our politicians dictate to us even when it makes no moral or economic sense as is the case here.

Central Government need to be held to account for cutting as much as they are and Local Government for making stupid decisions even with reduced funds available to them.

I was listening to Radio Sheffield this morning (details could be a bit sketchy) when it was reported that roads in Bradfield aren't being gritted due to the Council needing to make savings.

It referred to some accidents already, a couple of which could have been very serious.

The representative from Bradfield residents quoted a figure of a couple of thousand to have them gritted and it got me thinking of the false economy of this.

So we already have at least a couple of cars badly damaged, not to mention the cost of getting the Police and other Emergency services out to them meaning we've probably spent more than the couple of thousand already.

What bizarre logic are we using for this then?

Large numbers of roads throughout Sheffield aren't gritted and never have been - it's only bus routes and main roads that get gritted as a rule. What makes Bradfield so special?

Large numbers of roads throughout Sheffield aren't gritted and never have been - it's only bus routes and main roads that get gritted as a rule. What makes Bradfield so special?

Don't buses go to Bradfield?

This morning (because the Council in their wisdom decided not to grit Spout Lane) the Police attended to stop people driving down Spout Lane which, incidentally is no longer on the secondary gritting route because a car had slid off the road on the bad bend half way down.

It's all very well saying there's not much money left in the pot for gritting but the bottom line, as people have pointed out above, is that the attendance of Police Officers and other emergency services will costs a great deal more than the necessary grit - this really is pennywise pound foolish behaviour.

Plus, has no-one taken into account the fact that people use these "backwack" routes to avoid the congestion at Hillsborough which is a nightmare even on a good day?

In answer to "don't buses go to Bradfield" - No, not if the road has not been gritted.

The council will have to rethink their ideas on this one - Rails Road, Bingley Lane, Hopwood Lane, Bradfield main roads and Spout Lane all need to be gritted to keep the city moving.

Trust me - today later on when the Wednesday football match has finished, Spout Lane will be extremely busy. Even on an ordinary working day this road is constant stream of traffic, which, if forced to take another route, will just add to the chaos in icy weather.

This is utter folly on the council's part.

If I was you I would privately buy a grit bin and do it anyway. Who is going to object "the grit police" ? I don't think they would have a leg to stand on if this was organised by a local community group and the bin was a contrasting colour so that Amey operatives did not fill it by mistake.

The Council need to alter their mindset with this kind of thing and stop being so stupid and petty minded. If your grit bin enhances the living conditions in your area and prevents injury to people and damage to cars then surely common sense would dictate you should be able to do this ?

Theres nothing to stop you buying your own grit bin, they are widely available.

Will we need planning permission as to site ing ,colour , material etc.

Will this entail an army of planners ,inspectors and risk assessment experts.

If so what will be the cost as to obtaining the said permission .

Will we need planning permission as to site ing ,colour , material etc.

Will this entail an army of planners ,inspectors and risk assessment experts.

If so what will be the cost as to obtaining the said permission .

If it's on your own land - no.