Council refusing to grit roads in Bradfield-Couple of accidents

I was listening to Radio Sheffield this morning (details could be a bit sketchy) when it was reported that roads in Bradfield aren't being gritted due to the Council needing to make savings.

It referred to some accidents already, a couple of which could have been very serious.

The representative from Bradfield residents quoted a figure of a couple of thousand to have them gritted and it got me thinking of the false economy of this.

So we already have at least a couple of cars badly damaged, not to mention the cost of getting the Police and other Emergency services out to them meaning we've probably spent more than the couple of thousand already.

What bizarre logic are we using for this then?

I was listening to Radio Sheffield this morning (details could be a bit sketchy) when it was reported that roads in Bradfield aren't being gritted due to the Council needing to make savings.

It referred to some accidents already, a couple of which could have been very serious.

The representative from Bradfield residents quoted a figure of a couple of thousand to have them gritted and it got me thinking of the false economy of this.

So we already have at least a couple of cars badly damaged, not to mention the cost of getting the Police and other Emergency services out to them meaning we've probably spent more than the couple of thousand already.

What bizarre logic are we using for this then?

They published which roads they were going to grit and invited comments on the plan. I would imagine they get a limited budget and the man in charge of gritting would like to grit everywhere, but if the money he has available is less(due to the government giving them less) then he has to make do with what he can. Whether the emergency services end up paying more is a different matter, but they arent connected to his budget, even if it costs more in the scheme of things.

I guess the true outcome of this budget cut will be seen in many quarters, the rise in hours lost in work, vehicle insurance premium rises for those that still try to get to work, and as stated, the cost to other public services.

As our bus service is always the first to be cancelled when it does snow even with gritted roads, it doesn't bode well.

Just hope the councillors are able to make it to their Christmas knees up without too much hassle.

I guess the true outcome of this budget cut will be seen in many quarters, the rise in hours lost in work, vehicle insurance premium rises for those that still try to get to work, and as stated, the cost to other public services.

As our bus service is always the first to be cancelled when it does snow even with gritted roads, it doesn't bode well.

Just hope the councillors are able to make it to their Christmas knees up without too much hassle.

Shouldnt you be asking the government that?

the cuts in government funding are bound to take their toll

I saw good old Comrade Dore on Calendar trying to defend the councils stance on gritting . You can bet her road will be getting gritted this year .

The farmer said they had asked how much to buy grit bins so they could grit the roads and the council refused to give them the price for some reason.

The farmer said they had asked how much to buy grit bins so they could grit the roads and the council refused to give them the price for some reason.

In years gone by local Farmers used to clear the lanes and back roads when it snowed ,and one i know near me was telling me Barnsley council used to pay them to do it .

In years gone by local Farmers used to clear the lanes and back roads when it snowed ,and one i know near me was telling me Barnsley council used to pay them to do it .

I think the same thing happened in Sheffield out lying areas.

Yeah same thing in Mayfield Valley. Farmer did a great job for many years. Two days into slightly colder weather now and cars are already getting stuck around there.

I saw good old Comrade Dore on Calendar trying to defend the councils stance on gritting . You can bet her road will be getting gritted this year .

Where does she live?

It's a transition period. I lived on an ungritted road that basically was an access road for 400 households and we never had problems because we were used to it. Give it some time for the locals to sink in they're roads aren't gritted and it won't be a problem.

Of course with the media attention now it might not be long before the council reverts its sensible decision of cutting the mileage of treatable road enormously, meaning the rest of Sheffield, where roads actually do get used a lot, will return to being hit and miss.