2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

A few years ago when we had all that really bad snow (was it 2009?) there was number for the gritting team you could call and request they came and gritted your street (as a one off) ive googled and cant find any contact numbers at all. Has anyone got their number? i know with all the cut backs its a long shot, but thought it might be with a try, our road comes out onto Middlewood Road at a very busy set of traffic lights, there is no grit bin the nearest one is several streets away or i would do it myself.

Also has anyone got a link to the required criteria to apply for a grit bin.

Does anyone know if the roads are clear in middle handley? I am considering driving there today but only if roads are clear as I will have a toddler with me

A few years ago when we had all that really bad snow (was it 2009?) there was number for the gritting team you could call and request they came and gritted your street (as a one off) ive googled and cant find any contact numbers at all. Has anyone got their number? i know with all the cut backs its a long shot, but thought it might be with a try, our road comes out onto Middlewood Road at a very busy set of traffic lights, there is no grit bin the nearest one is several streets away or i would do it myself.

Also has anyone got a link to the required criteria to apply for a grit bin.

It's still (0114) 27 34567

Can't remember the options to follow, but stick with it, you can report as an "emergency" even at night and on a Sunday.

Pretty sure there's a "contact us" on the SCC website too.

It's still (0114) 27 34567

Can't remember the options to follow, but stick with it, you can report as an "emergency" even at night and on a Sunday.

Pretty sure there's a "contact us" on the SCC website too.

Brillant thank you, I shall give them a call :)

I suppose if you struggle with your van in the snow its a sound decision to buy them, but personally I buy an all season tyre like Goodyear or Continental and never have a problem when it snows. I travel regularly up and down the M5 winter and summer without a problem. If the snow gets to say 20cm deep I just don't venture out anyway, I'd use the train. regardless of summer or winter tyres.

All season tyres are a decent solution to our infrequent snow.

I had them on my mondeo (now sold) for the last few years and was impressed.

And you obviously go for a top brand . Which I should stress is very important , cheap winter tyres are proven as not very good in cold wet conditions.

My stance is that modern summer tyres (as fitted to the vast majority of new cars) are as good as useless on even a small amount of snow on our hills.

And even if you can get moving , stopping then becomes a serious problem (even for smug 4x4 owners on big rims + summer tyres )

If anyone wishes to prove me wrong , the sleighleigh lane challenge (for 2wd only) awaits them.

Maybe folks should consider a good all season tyre when buying a new car or else , when it's time to change , go for those?

No extra cost then , surely no arguments against that?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/winter.html

Snow clearance

We clear snow on a priority basis and start with the Priority 1 routes first. Once these are clear we then move onto the Priority 2 routes.

Once the Priority 1 and 2 routes are clear we will then prioritise the next days’ black bin collections.

Due to limited resources we are unable to take requests for snow clearance.

Brillant thank you, I shall give them a call :)

SCC on-line "Report and Request" form:

https://service.sheffield.gov.uk/selfservice/L1_Portal.html?formname=SSComplaints

(I know the link says complaints in it, but the page opens as a "Report and Request" form).

The website says for Roads it's "Option 1" on the (0114) 27 34567 number, but just follow the options for a Road problem (they might describe as "emergency").

"Temperatures plummet below zero across UK" says the headline on the BBC News website, leading to this page.

Is this really news? It's the middle of winter after all, it's hardly unknown for the the temperature to go below zero.

I find your comment unpleasant and unnecessary. I find it astonishing that some people feel the need to be obnoxious. I placed this post to be of help to other people and for no other reason.

My choice to live where I do is associated with asthma and I cannot live closer to the city centre due to pollution and where I live now means I am above the smog line in summer and can breathe more easily.

There was no complaint in my post - simply a statement of fact to be useful to others.

Don't be silly. My comment was a statement of fact and not directed at anyone personally - you have chosen to take it so for some very strange reason. It was neither 'unpleasant' nor 'obnoxious' in any way.:confused:

I live at the top of a very big hill myself - something I chose to do many years ago and I struggle with the snow every time it arrives.

I also lived at the top part of Stannington for the first 23 years of my life so really do understand how bad the snow can get.

Edited by Daven

Gooooogle is trying like I did some where near the start of this post to make people aware of what's out there tyre choice wise, sedith should have explained better that he is not driving on "normal" summer tyres but a tyre somewhere between a "summer" and " full" winter tyre hence all season tyre, Nobody is trying to be a smart bottom here! Just trying to make people aware for their own well being what's out there. I was a bit dumb about the options until a few years ago! Please before you judge .Google winter tyres etc on internet away watch the videos .Two drive out performing 4 wheel drive in snow. Come on we all get that feeling when a 4x4 comes motering past in snow, but what if you following in your "poxy" 2 wheel drive! You will go on routes you won't try with normal tyres avoiding traffic jams. You will have more control and hopefully avoid having a costly as accident, you will if a less experienced driver gets stuck, not get stuck because you've lost motion(and traction). Come to think about no matter how good you think you are behind the wheel in snow you will be pasted by someone with winter or all season tyres even if maybe they have less experience than you. Think image young or old "king of the road" being passed by my bespectacled granny in her ageing Honda civic ! So if you don't get some for yourself buy some for your nan and let's have some fun!:hihi:

I've found it easier to report empty grit bins by Fixmystreet, this is sent directly to Streets Ahead. We have nothing but empty grit bins around us now - I do hope they are refilled before the New Year.....

Any one know if The Snake is open? - and prospects for the next few days?

I've tried several web-sites to no result, ridiculous.

or Woodhead for that matter.............