2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

any more snow cumin

Sleet and snow forcast for 7-8 then again at 12 BUT temp dropping below 0

The clouds look like they could dump more snow sooner rather than later.

For the quantity of snow we had last night,

If everyone had winter tyres fitted, would we have needed the gritters?

I think so, as long as you have clearance.

They seemed to work fine on untracked Fulwood roads which had 3 to 4 inches.

Obviously need to take it steady and control gears carefully but otherwise fine.

I'm on a side road - we were ploughed and gritted at just after 4am.

lucky then, not seen a gritter or plough all day.

Not the only area in Sheffield not covered by a bus service today.

Choose to live at the top of a hill in Sheffield and you have to face the consequences when it snows.

I find your comment unpleasant and unnecessary. I find it astonishing that some people feel the need to be obnoxious. I placed this post to be of help to other people and for no other reason.

My choice to live where I do is associated with asthma and I cannot live closer to the city centre due to pollution and where I live now means I am above the smog line in summer and can breathe more easily.

There was no complaint in my post - simply a statement of fact to be useful to others.

Edited by alternageek
amended vb codes

I think so, as long as you have clearance.

They seemed to work fine on untracked Fulwood roads which had 3 to 4 inches.

Obviously need to take it steady and control gears carefully but otherwise fine.

With winter tyres on a BMW the only that then stops me is either a very steep hill, or if the snow is so deep that it grounds up under the car - five inches is enough to do that as it cakes on the front air dam and soon I've got a big wedge under the front lifting the wheels up in the air..

Summer tyres and I dont even move TBH, they are no good in snow unless you have chains on them.

This afternoon I drove all the way from Waterthorpe to the Northern General, no snow tyres or owt.

It took less time than it usually does, do I win a prize?

Our neighbours and us have just spent an hour or so digging our cul de sac out. I went to find a grit bin (only moved in recently) and was shocked to not be able to find one!

Does anyone know if its worth ringing the council? We've done the hard work, they'd only need to come and chuck a bit of salt about. Im worried if it doesn't get gritted soon, its just gonna freeze even worse.

Would not waste my time and energy if they are anything like Rotherham council I have lived in the same road not far from a primary school for over 20 years and as I recall its been gritted about twice in all that time once when two cars collided.

well done to Rotherham council for keeping the main roads open today :thumbsup: had to rescue a relative who had got a puncture outside the new Tesco drove there and back with no problems even managed to get down our road after it had been gritted once the neighbours and me had dug most of the hill out :D

Spare a thought for those over the border. I had to go to chesterfield this morning and the a619 from jnct 30 was like glass, no ploughing no grit. Once I got into staveley I noticed a couple of borough council 4x4s one had a trailer. That must be a relief for the residents I thought. But they stopped and, wait for it........

.....emptied a couple of waste bins and drove off. 11 hours later the road to bolsover hadn't seen a gritter, and it was very icy. I saw one but considering its the main road into bolsover and its a steep hill Id be miffed.