2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

Area: Sheffield Area

Cause: Inclement Weather

Responsibility: -

Duration: All Day

Update as of 1310 -

Service 19 - No longer suspended, a limited service between City and Abbey Lane. Direct via Chesterfield Road

Service 20/20A - Now running Meadowhead - Woodseats - City - Hillsborough; but using Burngreave Road (missing Scott Road area) & Herries Road direct from Northern General Hospital to Hillsborough. We are not serving the estates of Norton Lees or Hemsworth because of road conditions.

Service 22 - Running between City and Manor Park centre.

Running a curtailed between City, Manor Park and Woodhouse. Because of a blockage, buses are NOT using Maltravers Road, instead using Cricket Inn Road and Manor Lane. Buses are not calling into Manor Park Centre itself but passing. Between Manor Park and Woodhouse, buses are using 25A route (i.e. Nodder Road, Fishponds) and NOT Stradbroke.

Service 25A - Now running normally; Bradway to City, and City to Manor Park Centre only.

Service 35-37 - Suspended

Service 38 - **Not serving Norton Lane** Running Manor Top - Meadowhall - Firth Park only.

Service 42/44 - Suspended (120 covering running where possible)

Service 47/48 - Running Olive Grove - City - Firth Park only (using Pitsmoor Road, omitting local roads on Rock Street and Nottingham Street)

Service 51 - Running a special route Royal Hallhamshire Hospital - City - Manor Top - Gleadless. Serving main roads only. Buses will display Brook Hill towards RHH. We will again check shortly on routes in the S10 area.

Service 52 - Now running Brook Hill - City - Woodhouse Station (but operating via Stagecoach route using Retford Road and Furnace Lane)

Service 53 - Running Low Edges - City - Parson Cross (ASDA)

Service 56 - Suspended

Service 70 - Suspended

Service 75 - Operating Chapeltown - City - Meadowhead (again, to serve the Batemoor / Jordanthorpe estates, buses are turning on Bochum Parkway and are waiting at top of Dyche Lane outside the college)

Service 76 - Now resumed services to Lowedges. Running Greenhill Parkway, not serving Bocking Lane.

Service 81/82 - Now Running Malin Bridge to Ecclesall, Knowle Lane turning

Service 84 - Running limited service Hunters Bar - City - Malin Bridge

Service 85 - Running limited service Hunters Bar - City - Leppings Lane

Service 95 - Suspended

Service 97/98 - Now running Southey Green -City - Millhouses Tesco's (this change has come about because Abbeydale Road is now blocked by a fallen tree).

Service 120 - Running Royal Hallhamshire Hospital - City - Crystal Peaks only (but using Donetsk Way omitting length of Birley Spa Lane)

Service 272 - Suspended

Service X5 - Due to cars blocking road at Ka China, buses are limited to run Sheffield - Harthill. Terminating at A57 roundabout. Buses are also omitting Lodge Lane.

Does anyone know if Walkley Lane S6 has been gritted?

About twenty minutes ago I saw what was either a gritter or a plow going down Walkley Lane towards Hillsborough.

some idiots were trying to pull the broken tree down on abbeydale rd south near the park !!! now the road is blocked !!!

I've only ever seen the ploughs used on the main roads, never on the side roads (I live off a minor bus route and we get gritted, never ploughed)

I'm on a side road - we were ploughed and gritted at just after 4am.

some idiots were trying to pull the broken tree down on abbeydale rd south near the park !!! now the road is blocked !!!

Could it have been on purpose?

My first Sheffield snowfall!:-) Does anyone know if cabs are operating at all? I have to meet a relative off of a coach and a bus is out of the question as it is too far from the nearest stop to home, she can't walk far.

UPDATE FOR INFO - Just checked with travel-line - buses are not running to Stannington, not even halfway up the hill. Simply no service at all.

Not the only area in Sheffield not covered by a bus service today.

Choose to live at the top of a hill in Sheffield and you have to face the consequences when it snows.

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 15:14 ----------

Cant see any only clear skies.

Which is likely to mean that the temperature will plummet at sundown and the roads will freeze.

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 15:19 ----------

Several trees have come down on Bocking Lane - one has landed on a parked/abandoned car. Buses are not running up or down Bocking Lane at the moment.

Edited by Daven

Got back ok, about 2.30.

Roads are ok, didn't see any snow until Thorne, I think 1 lane on m18 outside lane is covered and undrivable, just north of Bramley, m1 South around junction 33 looked heavy with traffic.

Just drive steady, should be ok.

Thanks all

we are snowed in at lowedges,no gritters ,no ploughs,locals digging and clearing the snow off the roads,why pay council tax,thanks scc for nothing.

Our neighbours and us have just spent an hour or so digging our cul de sac out. I went to find a grit bin (only moved in recently) and was shocked to not be able to find one!

Does anyone know if its worth ringing the council? We've done the hard work, they'd only need to come and chuck a bit of salt about. Im worried if it doesn't get gritted soon, its just gonna freeze even worse.