2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

Many thanks to Andy C for his very helpful updates on the roads. Sounds bad out there.

Last update from me as I have to be up at 6am to get the dog walked and get ready to trek into town to work. I'll try to make it a detailed one.

Currently the winds are blowing the snow increasingly from the NW and pushing colder Northern air down towards us. Over the Irish Sea what can be a small spec on the radar - maybe a mile or two wide light snow flurry - can be a heavy showers cloud just 45 minutes later spanning about 10-15 miles. I imagine it will give us showers and flurries over the next few hours periodically but it is really developing in the distance.

Now leaving N Ireland and the Atlantic are major spells of snow covering many square miles that should get here in around 2 or 3 hours. If the current trend continues, given our altitude and microclimate, these should give us persistent heavy snow in the early hours and on into and beyond rush hour. Particularly bad will be the spell between 6am - 9am.

I'm sure we'll know a lot more at 6am and as always this could change if the wind directions alter between now and then, but the prognosis for the morning is looking worse with each passing hour, not better.

Be safe out there!!

Well my son made it home fine from Doncaster. Will have to see what the morning brings now.

Thanks for the updates Twirler, very helpful :)

^^ Yeah, apart from a light dusting on rooftops and some untouched pavements, it's cleared up in the city centre.

Twirler, you are a legend. Excellent reports.

I'm sure you know about this kind of thing, but for knownothings like me, this is real pretty and shows a little bit about what's happening: Wind Map *linky*

Like I say, real purdy... And shows where the wind is coming from.

Hope everyone is ok out there tonight :)

Twirler, you are a legend. Excellent reports.

I'm sure you know about this kind of thing, but for knownothings like me, this is real pretty and shows a little bit about what's happening: Wind Map *linky*

Like I say, real purdy... And shows where the wind is coming from.

Hope everyone is ok out there tonight :)

I like that just needs the snow clouds adding in and I would sit watching for hours lol

Had to close up and come home earlier. A journey usually taking twenty minutes took one and three quarter hours, but home now and wondering if I shall get back for Saturday night.

Love this thread, and so helpful. Thank you.

highways agency website,says Woodhead closed till 11am Thursday

Ive just come back from walking the dogs and i walked them on the road from the Flouch Roundabout to the Dog and Partridge pub seeing as the Woodhead is closed ,and the snow is roughly 4" deep with the drifting across the road, so i would say the Woodhead being open at 11am tomorrow is very optimistic to say the least. Its snowing up here again now and drifting .

Ive just come back from walking the dogs and i walked them on the road from the Flouch Roundabout to the Dog and Partridge pub seeing as the Woodhead is closed ,and the snow is roughly 4" deep with the drifting across the road, so i would say the Woodhead being open at 11am tomorrow is very optimistic to say the least. Its snowing up here again now and drifting .

:( I'm jealous.