2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

I have to say I've got a pretty accurate app on my phone, plus a website I use but Twirlers updates really confirm and bring them to life. Another thanks from me - being of limited mobility at present and on phased return back to work it's really helpful for me planning when I can get in and when might not be a good idea (I'm not allowed out in snow/ice at the mo)

I like the detail he gives, my app just has a picture of a snowflake lol

Be careful out there in the morning...

https://twitter.com/afropuff1980/status/560568586625118208

Car crashed bottom of Blake Street into wall at the bottom. Please drive carefully and avoid these S6 hills! @HelpSheffield @SheffieldStar

10:42 PM - 28 Jan 2015

Drive carefully: Stay safe. MT @ChrisBurn_Star: Traffic standstill in snow up City Road #Sheffield. Trams currently not running past here.

I have to say I've got a pretty accurate app on my phone, plus a website I use but Twirlers updates really confirm and bring them to life. Another thanks from me - being of limited mobility at present and on phased return back to work it's really helpful for me planning when I can get in and when might not be a good idea (I'm not allowed out in snow/ice at the mo)

Been there after 8 operations on my back I spent a few years where I was confined to the house in cases of ice and snow. That is when this started really, as I knew I wouldn't be in work I tended to stay up tracking the weather and watching the radars.

I'm fine now and will be expected to walk in tomorrow, although a part of me feels that it could well be bad enough to warrant not attempting even that.

Get well soon!

PUBLIC TRANSPORT DISRUPTION TONIGHT

Trams - currently suspended between Sheffield Station and Gleadless Townend due to cars blocking the tram tracks on City Road (outbound). Blue route is running from Malin Bridge to Sheffield Station and from Halfway to Gleadless Townend. Last tram from Halfway should run through to City Centre in order to get back to depot. Yellow route running normally Meadowhall-Middlewood.

Stagecoach buses:

Service 31 currently running along Infirmary Road to/from Hillsborough unable to serve Lower Walkley or Loxley

Service 52 terminating at Broomhill (bus actually turning round at Ranmoor)

Service 57 not serving Worral using Middlewoodn Road to Oughtibridge

Service 83's (Ecclesall Side): running to Hunters Bar only

Service 88's (Ecclesall Side): now normal

Service 120 terminating at Ranmoor

Servcie SL1 using Manchester Road in Stocksbridge

First buses:

Service 44 normal route to Fox Lane then Birley Lane both directions

Service 51 and 52 diverted via Clarkson Street, Glossop Road and Newbould Lane due to a Road Traffic Collision in Broomhill

Service 81 missing Bankfield Road and Acorn Drive.

Service 82 using Stannington Road to Liberty Hill both ways

Edited by Andy C

Trams are suspended:

Service now suspended between Sheffield station to Halfway/Herdings.

11:16 PM - 28 Jan 2015

Aha Andy C beat me to punch!

Not a single flake has fallen here since the sleety hail stuff around 7 pm.

highways agency website,says Woodhead closed till 11am Thursday

http://premium.ukweatherforecast.co.uk/user/login.php

User: demo

pass: demo

Have a look at that, it is free until noon tomorrow, really high definition close tools to look at all sorts of data, real advanced stuff.

---------- Post added 28-01-2015 at 23:30 ----------

Looking at those tools, the jet stream is about to dip South, don't be surprised to see snow fall into the weekend and next week too.

Tonight/tomorrow is not going to be the only challenging conditions day we face in the near future, looking at that.

Supertram update

from http://www.twitter.com/SCSupertram

BLUE ROUTE - operating Malin Bridge-Sheffield Station. No service beyond to Halfway

PURPLE ROUTE - suspended

YELLOW ROUTE - running normally

No service to Halfway/Herdings due to cars blocking the tram tracks on City Road.

We've had a bit of snow in S21 (and a bit more in Chesterfield) but nothimg has settled. Yet. I think the worst will come in morning.

Supertram update

from http://www.twitter.com/SCSupertram

BLUE ROUTE - operating Malin Bridge-Sheffield Station. No service beyond to Halfway

PURPLE ROUTE - suspended

YELLOW ROUTE - running normally

No service to Halfway/Herdings due to cars blocking the tram tracks on City Road.

UPDATE - last tram to Halfway will now run, departing City Centre 23:36

We've had a bit of snow in S21 (and a bit more in Chesterfield) but nothimg has settled. Yet. I think the worst will come in morning.
White over in Worksop now, literally in the blink of an eye :o

I looked out not an hour ago and there was nowt, just wet, windy and miserable...and just looked now and it's covering, with a full base already down, close to what the linked photo of small_hall shows in Sheffield north.

If this freezes and it starts big-flaking it later on, tomorrow's commute is going to be something epic, for sure.