2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

No atmospheric pressure then!;)

I was being generous giving him 28minutes :hihi:

J30 to J35a is bloody awful. In places there are no lanes at all visible, in others, it's just a case of following any tracks that may have been laid down by the vehicle in front, regardless of which lane it might be in. Visibility is extremely poor. I would definitely advise against travel unless necessary.

However, I've made it home to High Green! Thanks for the updates.

Ha, sorry I didn't get an update before the site close.

We are at the end of the 2nd front of the night, we'll get flurries but nothing heavy for a good hour or two. About 6am looks interesting as a 3rd front, more dense than the previous two is currently working up and stretches from Stoke-on-Trent right down to Gloucester. I expect some periods of heavy snow during rush hour, which never really works. I'm going to catch a few hours as I'll be getting up with OH, packing her shovel and hot water bottle if her school is open and she has to go in. Could go either way at the moment although I'd say it'll be shut now, that could change in a few hours.

Have a few hours rest before the next wave comes in! And get home safely everyone!

---------- Post added 21-01-2015 at 03:55 ----------

In fact, scrap that. I've decided to go for a quick nosey down at Barnsley Rd and Burngreave Rd to see what they are looking like at the mo and how deep the lying snow is on the side streets, first..

---------- Post added 21-01-2015 at 04:09 ----------

Okay.

As of 4am the depth of snow in S3 is about 2 inches on the ground. Roads are covered and where tyres have gone over the snow the compacted snow has frozen and is very slippy. BE VERY CAREFUL.

Underneath the snow on windscreens the windscreens aren't frozen which is a good thing.

Barnsley Rd and Burngreave Rd, both priority roads for the hospital have been cleared by ploughs. They initially looked OK but closer inspection shows them to be very slushy and I've just seen a police car almost go into a lamp post, so conditions are far from ideal. Let's give credit to the gritters who are trying their best to keep the main routes open though.

In summary people are going to have problems getting off their drives and roads but with care will probably be okay AT THIS POINT. However another couple of hours of temperatures slightly below freezing as they are now will probably make side roads a little trickier and dangerous. Added the snow that is due in a few hours and we have potential for problems, especially in that period where the gritters and ploughs won't be able to get through traffic.

Hope this helps, be safe!

Wow! That's dedication from our forum weatherman! Very informative. Thank you.

Driven from Dronfield to Rotherham at 0430. Main roads in Dronfield passable. There was a snow plough on beauchief roundabout and followed a plough and gritter from Norton aerodrome to manor top. They then u turned and went back towards Norton on pow road. Good work from the council.

Well done for offering your services and car, wish I had a 4x4 to help...

It started to snow in Oughtibridge again. Now to try to get to work soon.

Does anyone have any information on what it's like at Knowle Lane/Ecclesall Road South?

The road near me has been gritted, but snow is settling again on it..