2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

I live on Halifax Road, Wadsley Bridge WMC/Lidl/Speed camera area, Boxing Day was a nightmare, the OH spent a lot of the evening helping push cars to safety.

The dual carriageway has been gritted twice today and was (up 'til 10:30pm) clear, a good covering on the pavements tho'...

..just looked outside and the dual carriageway is now white over but ther are tyre tracks, obviously the traffic has petered out as it gets later, a plough could clear it, but the sky still looks full enough to carry on dumping a few more centimetres...so my update is Halifax Road is looking a bit grim, thanks for the updates Twirler...I'll be awake for a wee while yet and can update if anything changes North side of the city, just thought people might want to know seeing as it's an arterial route :)

Edited by lilypiglet

I live on Halifax Road, Wadsley Bridge WMC/Lidl/Speed camera area, Boxing Day was a nightmare, the OH spent a lot of the evening helping push cars to safety.

The dual carriageway has been gritted twice today and was (up 'til 10:30pm) clear, a good covering on the pavements tho'...

..just looked outside and the dual carriageway is now white over but ther are tyre tracks, obviously the traffic has petered out as it gets later, a plough could clear it, but the sky still looks full enough to carry on dumping a few more centimetres...so my update is Halifax Road is looking a bit grim, thanks for the updates Twirler...I'll be awake for a wee while yet and can update if anything changes North side of the city, just thought people might want to know seeing as it's an arterial route :)

The North and West seem to be escaping the worst at this moment in time, although in 30-60 minutes there's a heavier patch that will bring some heavy snow for that area too.

Looks like we might miss the main part of this front that we are currently in as it is tracking up the M1 and to the East of Sheffield in the main, though E Sheff and Rotherham could be looking at loads.

The main worry is what is behind it, there's a gap of a few hours where the services have an opportunity to plough the roads before we get the worst of what we're due. That one could go either way but there's so much heavy rainfall in the south that will be snow here it's difficult to see us not getting a bit of a hammering.

Any people near High Green able to provide an update?

I'm currently at work near Chesterfield, just wondering if it's time to get home now. Due to finish at 6AM, but can leave if necessary.

I'm currently at work near Chesterfield, just wondering if it's time to get home now. Due to finish at 6AM, but can leave if necessary.

i am in chapeltown near the barrel pub and its covered, thick and coming down fast, I think you will have trouble, hope you get home ok x

I am not at High Green but I can confirm Barnsley Road is down to 5mph even for ambulances with lights flashing, as snow is covering the main roads and settling. There's about an inch out there now, with plenty more to come in the next hour.

You'd be better sticking to the M1, might be worth looking at M1 traffic cameras?

Go home. S11 here and not as high up and not too great. We usually get gritted and not a sign. Safe journey home :)

I've just drove up the m1 j29 Mansfield and it is really coming down like slices of bread, gritters with snowplow down only one lane barely passable on m1.

I'm home now and the snow here is nothing of what's on its way

I'm in Shirecliffe and a few inches of snow have settled and it's snowing as I type.....

I'm in city center and its coming down but not settling at all hardly, roads are clear, started heavy and settling about 2 hours ago but seems t have turned into really wet/sleety stuff and most of what settled in a 30 min period has gone already.

I walked from East Bank Road to Herdings between 1 and 1:50 this morning. Saw only 2 cars on the road during the whole trip.

At least a couple of inches have settled in this part of the city.

Just waiting for Twirlers update, hope its before the half an hour close of Sheffield Forum at 3AM!

Just waiting for Twirlers update, hope its before the half an hour close of Sheffield Forum at 3AM!

No atmospheric pressure then!;)