2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

Oh so the snow is 5" thick now.

That and more where i live.

Oh so the snow is 5" thick now.

Are you being thick deliberately??

When a layer of snow 2" thick slides from your roof, onto your windscreen and gathers on your wipers. Unless you've got some sort of military grade windscreen wipers, they're not going to clear it.

It's still (0114) 27 34567

Can't remember the options to follow, but stick with it, you can report as an "emergency" even at night and on a Sunday.

Pretty sure there's a "contact us" on the SCC website too.

Try link below to request refilling of Grit Bin. Rather long winded

but it does give you a ref number should you have any queries.

Does your grit bin need refilling? Report it online http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/gritbins #sygrit

I've seen loads of people driving round with snow still covering their roof. Snow that will have now turned to ice.

Remember, it's against the law and it's also dangerous. Doesn't take 2 minutes to clear it off you lazy lot!

I dont get it... People should be issued points automatically for such idiotic and unsafe behaviour. A massive pet peeve of mine for YEARS.

Why is snow on roof dangerous?

\/ see below \/

cus it can slip down over the windscreen and block your vision.

Errm, well lets just think about that.

A big chuck of solid frozen ice or snow breaks off at 30,40, 70 mph straight onto the windscreen of the car behind or drops onto your windscreen or plops off onto the road surface directly in of the path of the car behind or blows off onto a pavement or nearby a pedestrian.

You don't think that might be a bit of a hazard and a bit discourteous to your fellow motorists or pedestrians?

I asked why snow is dangerous. Big difference between snow and ice.

If you cant understand WHY its so dangerous not to clear snow off the roof of your car, you dont deserve to drive. Simple.

Snow, while sitting on the roof of car might be fine when doing under 20mph, but if it slides down will block your view and cause an accident (sorry I've driven in a few countries, no matter how good your wipers are they arent going to clear a pile of snow thats just plopped down) or worse, cause the car behind you to have an accident.

Also, it can turn to ice underneath and having shards of ice fly at you from the car ahead is not good time. Using your wipers when not necessary is also dangerous.

I dont get it... People should be issued points automatically for such idiotic and unsafe behaviour. A massive pet peeve of mine for YEARS.

\/ see below \/

If you cant understand WHY its so dangerous not to clear snow off the roof of your car, you dont deserve to drive. Simple.

Snow, while sitting on the roof of car might be fine when doing under 20mph, but if it slides down will block your view and cause an accident (sorry I've driven in a few countries, no matter how good your wipers are they arent going to clear a pile of snow thats just plopped down) or worse, cause the car behind you to have an accident.

Also, it can turn to ice underneath and having shards of ice fly at you from the car ahead is not good time. Using your wipers when not necessary is also dangerous.

Dont be so ridiculous lady.

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 15:10 ----------

Are you being thick deliberately??

When a layer of snow 2" thick slides from your roof, onto your windscreen and gathers on your wipers. Unless you've got some sort of military grade windscreen wipers, they're not going to clear it.

Dont be rude, bozo.

Dont be so ridiculous lady.

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 15:10 ----------

Dont be rude, bozo.

Right, have a look at these then. It might sink in then.

This is what happens when you don't clear snow. Perfectly safe eh?

Windscreen wipers usually do the trick

Clear it you lazy moron,i would not want you driving anywhere near my loved ones or friends with your dumb attitude.:rant::rant:

Most posts are concerned with the state of the roads, and rightly so. Nobody wants road accidents.

But please spare a thought for pedestrians. Nothing is ever done to clear pavements. It is all too easy to slip and break bones, especially dangerous for the elderly.

Most posts are concerned with the state of the roads, and rightly so. Nobody wants road accidents.

But please spare a thought for pedestrians. Nothing is ever done to clear pavements. It is all too easy to slip and break bones, especially dangerous for the elderly.

Spent 45 minutes earlier clearing some of the pavement and the wheelchair ramp of ice... Lots of grit with salt to help melt the sheets of ice that had formed and clearing it away. Then re-gritting the cleared area.

What was too thick to get through, will try to break up and clear tomorrow.

BTW using grit we had bought a few years back to clear it as cant access the closest grit bin since its on a ice covered slope.

Try link below to request refilling of Grit Bin. Rather long winded

but it does give you a ref number should you have any queries.

Does your grit bin need refilling? Report it online http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/gritbins #sygrit

That page doesn't appear to have a specific link for re-filling grit bins - neither does the one referenced by the SCC twitter page

My son went over Woodhead earlier this morning, got to Manchester ok, he says its clear there.

thats good to here :) im in manchester & due to drive back in the morning.