2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

Sheffield once again made to look like a fool in the face of the rest of the country. Let's just hope people see the great spirit and humanity of all those that helped each other, rather than the ridiculous absence of gritters by an outdated and obsolete City Council

According to met office more snow to come tonight

According to met office no more significant snow to come tonight in Sheffield. source

Sheffield once again made to look like a fool in the face of the rest of the country. Let's just hope people see the great spirit and humanity of all those that helped each other, rather than the ridiculous absence of gritters by an outdated and obsolete City Council

All the main roads was gritted before the snow yesterday, [ Amey R. Sheff this am]

Most of the traffic problems we observed last night were due to cars not getting any grip on the road to move on.

Did many accidents happen? Some people I saw were going rather fast, almost irresponsible downhill at some places.

I think some folk have the' close yer eyes and hope for the best' approach to driving in snow.

Do cars come with "all season" tyres in the UK, though? I think suppliers fit summer tyres to their new cars.

It depends but when it comes time to replace you can always opt for a good all-seasons tyre. Personally I have a set of summer and a set of winter on the same type of alloys but I prefer that. Nothing wrong with swapping twice a year on one set of wheels having two sets of tyres.

As already said, specific winter tyres are softer compound, they won't last very long (relatively speaking) in warm/hot summer months compared to summer or all-season tyres.

Buses definitely aren't going up Woodseats Rd, they were turning two 75s around at the bottom about an hour ago :)

All the main roads was gritted before the snow yesterday, [ Amey R. Sheff this am]

Sounds about right. Grit only really works if there's less than a couple of inches of snow; don't think there was a great deal that could be done given how quickly it came down. We're not really geared up for it here and it would cost too much to be prepared for these rare occasions.

But what if they have magically winter tyres! Twax

Then they'd have no trouble driving up it.

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 13:36 ----------

I respectfully disagree. Good winter tyres are fine all year round. I've used Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow continuously for 10 years with no issues at all.

Oh they are good but they wear out fast when the weather is warm, hence the reason for swapping them come March.

UPDATE FOR INFO - Just checked with travel-line - buses are not running to Stannington, not even halfway up the hill. Simply no service at all.

It depends but when it comes time to replace you can always opt for a good all-seasons tyre. Personally I have a set of summer and a set of winter on the same type of alloys but I prefer that. Nothing wrong with swapping twice a year on one set of wheels having two sets of tyres.

As already said, specific winter tyres are softer compound, they won't last very long (relatively speaking) in warm/hot summer months compared to summer or all-season tyres.

Buses definitely aren't going up Woodseats Rd, they were turning two 75s around at the bottom about an hour ago :)

I've got Goodyear Vector 4 Season tyres, which include the snowflake symbol, so they meet the standard for winter tyres in those countries which require it. It is described as a compromise, being less hard core than the full winter one. It cannot cope as well as the full winter tyre below 0 deg, and not quite as good in thick snow, but doesn't wear out as quickly in summer conditions.

I first chose them based on results from an in depth test in a European magazine (probably Auto Bild, but I can't remember for certain). I remember that Goodyear, Vredstein and Hankook produced the best 4 season tyres at that time. Also, although the premium 4 season tyres were not as good as the premium winter tyres, in winter conditions, they were better than a whole lot of budget and middle of the road winter tyres.

The original tyres on my car (a Suzuki) my wife's car (a VW) and my previous car (a Skoda) were all summer tyres.

Edited by Eater Sundae

We are travelling back to Sheffield via the M1 from the Midlands and aren't sure what junction to come off given the snow, abandoned cars and traffic etc. do any of you know what one is clear or at least less gridlocked than the others please? We would normally come onto parkway. Thanks in advance x

We are travelling back to Sheffield via the M1 from the Midlands and aren't sure what junction to come off given the snow, abandoned cars and traffic etc. do any of you know what one is clear or at least less gridlocked than the others please? We would normally come onto parkway. Thanks in advance x

I've not been out today so have no first hand experience, but it looks to be thawing quickly.

The cameras on the sheffield.gov website seem to show roads in both Park Square area and Meadowhall area as being clear.

However, the parkway was blocked last night, near Catcliffe, apparently, so I don't know if there are any/many abandoned vehicles. I came through Junction 34 lateish last night and it was OK, and wouldn't have got worse later- although it might be busy today with Meadowhall shoppers.

Also, camera 31 of the Sheffield cameras, which covers the M1 at junction 31, shows the motorway as being busy, so don't know if there are problems there.