2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

What are the main roads like Middlewood, Penistone, dereck dooley and on towards m'hall?

All the 20 gritters out yesterday and today have snow ploughs on them

I've only ever seen the ploughs used on the main roads, never on the side roads (I live off a minor bus route and we get gritted, never ploughed)

According to met office more snow to come tonight

The best idea would be to have a separate set of wheels with your winter tires on, and just change the wheels for winter.

I respectfully disagree. Good winter tyres are fine all year round. I've used Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow continuously for 10 years with no issues at all.

Most of the traffic problems we observed last night were due to cars not getting any grip on the road to move on.

Did many accidents happen? Some people I saw were going rather fast, almost irresponsible downhill at some places.

we are snowed in at lowedges,no gritters ,no ploughs,locals digging and clearing the snow off the roads,why pay council tax,thanks scc for nothing.

I've only ever seen the ploughs used on the main roads, never on the side roads (I live off a minor bus route and we get gritted, never ploughed)

you are more than likely right in they {Amey} dont plough minor roads,i am just quoting an Amey spokesman on Radio Sheffield this morning that all there 20 gritters have ploughs fixed on them.

I respectfully disagree. Good winter tyres are fine all year round. I've used Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow continuously for 10 years with no issues at all.

I remember seeing advice on one of the tyre manufacturers' web sites (Continental, I think, but I'm not sure) advising that if you only have one set of tyres for all year round use, then you should choose winter tyres.

In summer, winter tyres are a little inferior to summer tyres, but not by much,

But in winter, summer tyres are very inferior to winter tyres.

Edit. Here it is

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=fK-eVIKgA4WzUer_gYgH&url=http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/www/tyres_uk_en/themes/van-tyres/winter-tyres/why-winter-tyres.html&ved=0CD0QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHixyE9IQ54Ia-1qHfEdndE_eaB3g&sig2=2C2shsIFRFKUUooNA9Z2HA

Edited by Eater Sundae

I remember seeing advice on one of the tyre manufacturers' web sites (Continental, I think, but I'm not sure) advising that if you only have one set of tyres for all year round use, then you should choose winter tyres.

In summer, winter tyres are a little inferior to summer tyres, but not by much,

But in winter, summer tyres are very inferior to winter tyres.

Snow tyers are made of very soft rubber which are ok in winter, v cold temperatures but wear out quickly in warm conditions,

p & p

Q: Can I leave my snow tires on all year?

A: You can, but it's not a good idea. Snow tires tend to be noisier, plus the softer compounds from which they are made means they will wear out faster, especially in warm weather. Wear is critical, because winter tires rely on their deep tread to dig into snow and ice. As soon as the snow is gone for good, remove your snow tires and reinstall your regular tires. The good news: Since you're savvy enough to use snow tires, you don't need to stick with the all-season tires that came with your car for the rest of the year -- you can choose a "summer" tire that will provide better handling, better traction in the rain, or a smoother, quieter ride.

Edited by kidley

Snow tyers are made of very soft rubber which are ok in winter, v cold temperatures but wear out quickly in warm conditions,

p & p

Q: Can I leave my snow tires on all year?

A: You can, but it's not a good idea. Snow tires tend to be noisier, plus the softer compounds from which they are made means they will wear out faster, especially in warm weather. Wear is critical, because winter tires rely on their deep tread to dig into snow and ice. As soon as the snow is gone for good, remove your snow tires and reinstall your regular tires. The good news: Since you're savvy enough to use snow tires, you don't need to stick with the all-season tires that came with your car for the rest of the year -- you can choose a "summer" tire that will provide better handling, better traction in the rain, or a smoother, quieter ride.

Do cars come with "all season" tyres in the UK, though? I think suppliers fit summer tyres to their new cars.

Do cars come with "all season" tyres in the UK, though? I think suppliers fit summer tyres to their new cars.

looks as though that one did, dont know the make though.