2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

Should be fine, just the side roads that are still covered. Use your brain and there is no issue.

Thanks, I'm heading back from Scarborough, not a drop here.

Only live at Brinsworth so straight of the M1

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 12:07 ----------

I'm also in a 4x4 navara

If you`ve got 100s of pounds spare to buy all that and somewhere to keep the spare set of wheels and tyres.... Plus, when you sell your car, and many people (for reasons I can never understand) seem to change their cars very regularly, you`re then left with a load of expensive wheels and tyres which will probably not fit your new car !

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 11:17 ----------

Assuming you`re not caught in the gridlock of everyone else being stuck !

I had two separate journeys last night.

Firstly from Eckington, where I originally set out towards Mossbrough and heading towards Birley Moor Rd. The cars in front were stuck, one sideways across the road. I was able to do a 3 point turn (something he was unable to do due to lack of traction, and I probably couldn't have done either if my tyres hadn't have been suitable), and head out to the motorway. So I was not stopped by other traffic being stuck. I decided to head for lower ground, so came off the motorway at Tinsley. Glad I did, as it seems that the Parkway was blocked (although that might have been later). I decided to break the journey and visit relatives at Tinsley, to give traffic a chance to break up the snow and clear. Bawtry Road was at a standstill, but I was able to use back streets to get to my destination - so again not blocked by stuck traffic.

Later, I travelled from Tinsley to Nether Green. I did get held up by stuck traffic for about 30 minutes on Derek Dooley way (a dual carriageway, so I couldn't bale out), but once that cleared I was OK until I was on Ecclesall Rd, and cars were struggling to get up the rise near Rustlings Road. I was able to do a U turn to avoid this, and set off up Brocco Bank. This was ungritted compacted snow. I had no problem up here, mainly because there were no other cars using it. The same when I drove along Endcliffe Vale, Riverdale Rd, Graham Rd etc, to get home.

The point was, that by having suitable tyres, I had options that I wouldn't have had if my car only had summer tyres. You can still get caught up in other peoples' lack of traction, but you often have choices. My journeys were a lot safer and a lot less stressful because my car had suitable tyres.

Will I be able to get over the woodhead pass today?

Still not been cleared yet as far as I'm aware.

Still not been cleared yet as far as I'm aware.

Suspected as much. Thank you.

taxi and silver car on normanton hill still parked bringing road down to single file red taxi 06 kyc can you shift it

...and those who post without adding anything useful to a thread.

Well you could just moan about how you can't understand why the whole city hasn't been gritted, even though it wouldn't have helped.

taxi and silver car on normanton hill still parked bringing road down to single file red taxi 06 kyc can you shift it

What's the magic word ?

now,..........................before you cause a crash

snow ploughs work better than gritters but I bet SCC got 1 maybe 2 so useless, got stuck overnight at gleadless and just back home now after 12 hours, roads STILL bad. and I'm on about main roads not side roads!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Have never understood why the gritters dont have ploughs on them. They can be raised and lowered as needed.

For the quantity of snow we had last night,

If everyone had winter tyres fitted, would we have needed the gritters?

You would still needed the grit to help prevent ice from forming from the melted ice below or the slush beside freezing.

Growing up in the NE of the US, it was pretty common practice even with this amount to grit and clear, even once, and it worked. All my cars had all weather tires on them and used to do pretty well in this kinda snow. Anything under 8 inches, cars go through provided there was at least grit down.

Will I be able to get over the woodhead pass today?

here you are.

http://www.traffic-update.co.uk/a-roads/a628.asp

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 12:39 ----------

Have never understood why the gritters dont have ploughs on them. They can be raised and lowered as needed.

All the 20 gritters out yesterday and today have snow ploughs on them

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote

can people stop trying to drive up and down Walkley lane please. its ridiculous with cars abandoned, people pushing cars and digging each other out. haven't the sense they were born with

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

can people stop trying to drive up and down Walkley lane please. its ridiculous with cars abandoned, people pushing cars and digging each other out. haven't the sense they were born with

I've been looking through the window and laughing at the spangles. You can certainly tell why the UK will soon be a Third World country