2014/2015 Snow & Winter Weather MegaThread

Main roads are clear - get yer wellies on and get some exercise !

Any idea how snake pass is this morning? Is it clear?

Any idea how snake pass is this morning? Is it clear?

According to the BBC travel website A57 snake pass and woodhead road are currently closed due to snow.

There's pictures on the starsheffield twitter news feed of the parkway and stuck lorry on M1, not much grit though.

The Star is promoting the use of the traffic cameras to help but they're turned off.

Never seen them all turned off before.

A few years ago, when I was watching then during the snow, they were on all night, but sometimes "froze". Someone wrote at the time that they were only manned during the day. If the refresh failed and the picture froze, at any time, then it would stay like that until the operator returned and would reset the system. I don't know how true that was.

But that was a frozen picture (with the time stamp), not no picture at all.

Walkley Lane still bad according to the wife who been sent off to work.

She said a van was struggling to get going after getting stuck.

Main roads are clear - get yer wellies on and get some exercise !

Main Roads are treacherous at Stannington and no buses are getting up here at present which I know is usual for Stannington.

Partner had to walk to work this morning and it took him an hour and 10 mins to get down to Hillsborough.

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 09:10 ----------

Does anyone know if the gritters are actually going to make an appearance today on either their primary or secondary routes ?

Information from the Council would be useful ?

Dronfield bypass - I can't say that I've seen it, but I can certainly hear traffic driving along it this morning. Don't want to venture too far out as it's cold out, but I live about 60 meters from it.

[/color]Does anyone know if the gritters are actually going to make an appearance today on either their primary or secondary routes ?

What do you want, Gritters or Information, with SCC you can't have both. :hihi: On Tiwtter it's been 11 hours since their last "update"...

Edited by byeo

Main Roads are treacherous at Stannington and no buses are getting up here at present which I know is usual for Stannington.

Partner had to walk to work this morning and it took him an hour and 10 mins to get down to Hillsborough.

Does anyone know if the gritters are actually going to make an appearance today on either their primary or secondary routes ?

Radio Sheffield said secondary routes are getting nothing, primary routes allegedly clear.

Gritters are out just seen one go down herries road.

We got caught out in the snow last night and obviously we were pretty p****d off about it, but what made it really unacceptable was we`d checked the Teletext weather forecast (we had to take a relative back up to Knaresborough and it said the snow was forecast to arrive in Sheffield at 12.00 at night. Thus we thought we`d be fine to get back home for about 8.30PM. Ohh no. We were going past Wakefield on the M1 at not much past 8.00 when the snow started coming down really quite badly. By the time we got to Junc 36 it was unsafe to be doing much more than about 30mph, though that didn`t stop the usual imbeciles of course...... We got as far as Tankersley roundabout and there was standing traffic from there all the way down the A61. I won`t bore you with the full story but we didn`t get home till gone 10.00 having had to go all the way round and in via Attercliffe to try and find flat roads. But we never saw any gritters on the motorway and only one in Sheffield and that was at 10.00, way too late. It wasn`t even that cold last night between 8.00 and 10.00, my car was reporting temperatures between 0 and 2 degrees, if they`d gritted the M1 and the main routes in time there really wouldn`t have been much trouble at all.

Totally unacceptable.

Thanks for that information on stannington, saved me a wasted journey,

Seems a fair bit of ice here in Hillsborough, be careful on the side roads people