Hospital parking

Had a 9:30 appointment earlier this week at NGH. Spent half an hour trying to find an on site parking space and ended up parking on Longley Hall Road and walking around past the retirement home and being 15 minutes late. I was surprised how many permit only areas there were, which I couldn't remember from last time I went a few years back. There were quite a lot of free permit spaces up near the blood transfusion end.

It really needs something doing to address the parking problem. It's not a realistic option for a lot of people to use public transport. Even an access point in to the grounds through the fence near the blood transfusion would have helped me at the time.

You can't be a nurse if you need somebody else to wipe your backside. Google would be your friend, as it was mine, but to save you the trouble I'll apply the virtual Andrex for you - it is from the council's 2013 report for the permit scheme.

If there was money to be made the Trust would have built a car park years ago. As it is the staff will just have to be as unprivileged as almost everyone else who travels to work somewhere.

Hardly a privilege to pay monthly for a parking permit which can't used because of the lack of permit only parking spaces and so having to pay and display.

What an odious person you are :gag:

Happy Christmas and thanks to all health care staff working over the holiday period. At least you won't have a problem parking !

The 'essential car users' car park will be entirely empty .

Edited by Daven

I can afford both so your lecture on motoring economics is wasted on me, especially as I was happy to permit.

There are people on my street that need a car to get to their job who are on the breadline.

I suspect that many of the local houses who park their vehicles on the street have several vehicles per house and I believe that the cost of a permit for each additional vehicle is higher (maybe an additional 50%?) possibly with a maximum of 3 cars.

Where I live in Woodseats, there are several houses with four vehicles. And the width of the houses is only the length of 1 car. Some of these people have a work vehicle and a personal car, others are a family with a car each. When a permit scheme was discussed I believe there was a "maximum car limit" which would have prevented all the cars from having permits. This would have led to people parking some of their vehicles in other parts of the city, probably adding to the frustration of other residents.

I believe that the cost of a permit for each additional vehicle is higher (maybe an additional 50%?) possibly with a maximum of 3 cars.

In Council permit schemes, the second and subsequent permits cost twice the amount of the first permit, so first resident permit is £36 per annum, second and subsequent £72.

People can normally have 2 permits per household but more can be given if there are enough available spaces in the scheme.

People can normally have 2 permits per household but more can be given if there are enough available spaces in the scheme.

No matter what the arguments people use against resident permit schemes I believe that this issue that means many people will vote against a scheme in their area. there just isn't enough room for the amount of vehicles people have as most of the city was laid out before mass car ownership.

Its bad enough now but it'll be chaos up there when they close the walk-in on Broad Lane and the minor injuries unit at the RHH.

Its bad enough now but it'll be chaos up there when they close the walk-in on Broad Lane and the minor injuries unit at the RHH.

When's that happening ?

the consultation document on here

http://www.sheffieldccg.nhs.uk/get-involved/urgent-care-consultation.htm

in the star

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/nhs-bosses-want-to-hear-from-residents-over-changes-to-close-and-move-sheffield-minor-injuries-unit-and-walk-in-centre-1-8845607

big cost saving exercise happening

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/nov/15/ae-units-gp-surgeries-and-walk-in-centres-to-close-as-cash-crisis-bites

Having been a first aider at the University that walk-in centre on Broad Lane is (maybe soon was) very handily placed.

Went to Hallamshire yesterday for a 10am appointment, car park full!!! Nightmare trying to find somewhere and then being late for appointment. Something seriously needs sorting about the parking situation. It will be the bus next time (exactly what they want)!!

The same thing happened to me at the Northern General last Monday. I was forty minutes late for my appointment, after trying to gt a parking space for half an hour. For me too, it's the bus in future. One of the car parks was only half full, but the attendant said it was for staff parking only.

The same thing happened to me at the Northern General last Monday. I was forty minutes late for my appointment, after trying to gt a parking space for half an hour. For me too, it's the bus in future. One of the car parks was only half full, but the attendant said it was for staff parking only.

That would have been the 'essential car users only' car park - the one that is totally empty most evenings and weekends :rolleyes: I'm not 'essential' enough to have access to this car park.

When starting the afternoon shift I have to be in the hospital grounds at least 30 minutes before my shifts starts to find a staff parking space - and this is after I have paid for my permit. The bus isn't an option for me.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Not of interest to thread contributors .

Edited by crossword
o.bviously of no interest

If you were looking for half an hour then you were already 10 minutes late for your appointment so don`t you think you should have given yourself more time to look for a space. I am frequent visitor to the N.G.H. an I have never had to look for more than 5 or 10 minutes for a space.