Cuts in Police service

Why do we have to be more at risk of crime by the cuts in police budgets? They are closing the local Police/sections stations, cutting back on Police recruits. Hardly any foot patrols seen. I know there are money restraints from the government but isn't there a basic right as a British citizen to be protected in or own homes. After all we do pay for policing. Will we get a rebate? Not likely!:(

Good point.

They're going to invest in more of those cardboard coppers.

Personally I don't think they are cut out for the job.

Why do we have to be more at risk of crime by the cuts in police budgets? They are closing the local Police/sections stations, cutting back on Police recruits. Hardly any foot patrols seen. I know there are money restraints from the government but isn't there a basic right as a British citizen to be protected in or own homes. After all we do pay for policing. Will we get a rebate? Not likely!:(

The cuts in police are because we don't pay enough in tax!

Important to remember that council tax can only cover the cost of a fraction of public spending in Sheffield and most of the money comes from central Government.

I was told yesterday that more police and Civilian jobs are going?

I am "Genuinely" worried if this is true?

Might I ask, Has anyone else heard this?

Are we to start going the job ourselves?

When are cutbacks setbacks?

I really would like some opinion....please tell me yours.. Thanks..

Ps: if you live on a road with a Watch Scheme please also give your opinions.. thanks a lot

Edited by NWSheffield

The cuts in police are because we don't pay enough in tax!

Important to remember that council tax can only cover the cost of a fraction of public spending in Sheffield and most of the money comes from central Government.

We don't pay enough tax!

Or do you mean not enough people are paying tax?

Would get rid of those who keep going on a holiday to Portugal on the Maddie case,they've found nothing after all these trips.

Or do you mean not enough people are paying tax?

I think that's what the government are saying - tax income has dropped

I think that's what the government are saying - tax income has dropped

They should stop giving tax cuts to the super rich then.

And the 20p VAT is not producing much anymore because the majority of the country has no spare cash to spend anyway.

---------- Post added 10-12-2014 at 08:42 ----------

They're going to invest in more of those cardboard coppers.

Personally I don't think they are cut out for the job.

I'd like to see cardboard politicians, I think they'll do a much better job, and at least they won't behave like deranged animals in the house of commons. They will be more upright representatives. They will only have one face and not several. They're also more robust and less likely to buckle under the pressure than the ones we've got. And apparently, they don't mind what the quality of the champagne in Westminster is like. And, we wouldn't have to pay for lavish second homes and mortgages, they could sleep in a drawer.

Edited by Mr Bloom

Before this thread deteriorates into yet another police bashing one - just remember that the police are just as peed off about the cuts as we are. They do a very difficult job and the suggestion that their resources are going to be further cut is demoralising for the vast majority of them who care about their job and the standards they are able to work to with a passion particularly the average bobby on the 'shop floor'.

I was told yesterday that more police and Civilian jobs are going?

I am "Genuinely" worried if this is true?

Might I ask, Has anyone else heard this?

Are we to start going the job ourselves?

When are cutbacks setbacks?

I really would like some opinion....please tell me yours.. Thanks..

Ps: if you live on a road with a Watch Scheme please also give your opinions.. thanks a lot

Good morning B, R here !

Heard nothing myself. We as Neighbourhood Watch are trying our best, but we suffer from apathy as you well know !

An increase in folks showing an interest in Neighbourhood Watch would help, but we are up against as I said, APATHY !!

Come on Sheffield folks, get more involved with Neighbourhood Watch, help your community to become a safer place and make the work of under resourced Police a bit easier !

If this and the figures are correct I'm all for it:

Labour plan to scrap Police Crime Commissioners

Shadow Home Secretary Yvette Cooper says Labour's plan to scrap police and crime commissioners will save £50 million which can be put back into front line policing

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11111745/Labour-plan-to-scrap-Police-Crime-Commissioners.html

Although in 2012 Labour said:

Labour Police and Crime Commissioners will protect communities and fight crime.

Labour Police and Crime Commissioners will:

Stand up for communities against the Tories’ 20 per cent cuts to policing and the loss of at least 15,000 police officers.

Keep police on the beat with neighbourhood policing, not hand it over to private companies or leave it only to PCSOs.

Back a strong and swift response to anti-social behaviour. Victims should get a response within 24 hours.

Be tough on crime, and tough on the causes of crime. We will work in partnership with police, local people and councils to tackle and prevent crime.

Protect the police from political interference.Our candidates have signed a contract to respect the independence of the Chief Constable.

http://www2.labour.org.uk/about-labour-police-and-crime-commissioners/