Lowedges slip road

I also would be interested in the reasoning behind this just out of idle curiosities sake.

I am actually quite in favour of it (I would be, living where I do) as I work in Chesterfield and coming home it has seriously cut down the number of 20mph donuts pulling out into 40mph traffic by a considerable amount.

I do appreciate that not everyone coming off Low Edges Road is like that but it seems to have made a difference in my very non-scientific experience.

I also would be interested in the reasoning behind this just out of idle curiosities sake.

I am actually quite in favour of it (I would be, living where I do) as I work in Chesterfield and coming home it has seriously cut down the number of 20mph donuts pulling out into 40mph traffic by a considerable amount.

I do appreciate that not everyone coming off Low Edges Road is like that but it seems to have made a difference in my very non-scientific experience.

I think that carltoncdx probably got it right in post #2. It will improve the chance of cyclists being seen.

Edit. The usual way of avoiding the conflict of a fast slip road crossing a cycle lane at a shallow angle is for the cycle lane to turn left to be at 90 degrees to the slip road and then give way to the slip road. After crossing the slip road, the cycle lane then runs parallel to the slip road to finish up to the left of the main carriageway. I wonder why they don't do it here.

Edited by Eater Sundae

Rang Sheffield city council up for an explanation as to why this slip road has been blocked off. They said nothing to do with them and passed me though to Amey they said it was nothing to do with them either. They said there was no work being carried out in that area. So where do I go from here

Rang Sheffield city council up for an explanation as to why this slip road has been blocked off. They said nothing to do with them and passed me though to Amey they said it was nothing to do with them either. They said there was no work being carried out in that area. So where do I go from here

Ninja cyclists in the middle of the night?

the barriers are not set up to chapter 8 of red book so if there was an accident they would be liable for it.

This is the reply I received from transport planning today:

Dear Mr Xxxxxx

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

As you may be aware the speed limit on Chesterfield Road South was much higher than it is now and the limit has been reduced over the years as traffic has increased leading to queues to Lowedges Road at times.

The original proposals were for Chesterfield Road South in isolation and were to provide on-carriageway cycle lanes in both directions. It was pointed out, at a late stage in the design process, that if a new junction was being designed onto a 40mph road, the access onto it would be at right-angles and would not have a lengthy slip road. Please look at just about any other junction onto a 40mph road in Sheffield or anywhere else. The slip road arrangement is more appropriate for a 60/ 70mph dual carriageway. There has also been a Reported Injury Accident that has a clear link to the slip road and merging traffic. Fortunately injuries were only slight.

The changes have also been through a Road Safety Audit prior to implementation. A further stage of the Road Safety Audit process will take place after the current arrangement has been in place for a while and appropriate changes will then be made. The use of white lines and temporary barriers, will make it easier should alterations prove necessary.

Thank you again for getting in touch and once again my apologies for the delay in responding.

Regards,

Dick Skelton

Please note that I normally work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday only.

Transport Planning

Room G32

Town Hall

SHEFFIELD

S1 2HH

Tel: 0114 2734479

This is the reply I received from transport planning today:

... if a new junction was being designed onto a 40mph road, the access onto it would be at right-angles and would not have a lengthy slip road...

Interesting reply, good to know what they have in mind. However, I have to ask why they would design it that way if it were a new junction - is it known that a right-angle junction would definitely work better (in terms of traffic flow, visibility, safety, etc)? Or is it because a right-angled junction is cheaper to put in, or doesn't need as much space alongside the road?

It seems to me that they have made it that way because all other junctions of that type are the same, oh, and there was a minor accident in that area.

same old scc our way only,doesnt matter about anyone else thinks total disgrace,i have not found any of our greenhill taras members or shop keepers or anyone that agrees with this silly idea.

I got the same email, word for word.

I still think its a silly idea but it was nice to get a proper response, with explanation.