Why are bus & taxi fares still same given oil prices ?

You are right there, I do the same journey every time and the driver gives me the wrong price or we have a minutes discussion of the stop I'm going to and the driver having to get it up on his ticketing device.

The best thing is I can catch another bus that takes me to the same place as the £1.70 one and is a couple of stops more but is only £1.50. Its not right how they price some of these routes up.

Then insteadof moaning, do something about it get a bike, car or walk. they will get the message and you cna send them out of business if not enough people want to use their service. They are a business and just like any other business they can set their price.

They should get a little board and roll some dice each time to set the price.

bus stop

Edited by dutch

They should get a little board and roll some dice each time to set the price.

Why would that be? Why not just choose the price they want to set as a business and hat will return them a profit? Just like other businesses.

Why would that be? Why not just choose the price they want to set as a business and hat will return them a profit? Just like other businesses.

Of coarse, profit is more important than a silly joke.

Then insteadof moaning, do something about it get a bike, car or walk. they will get the message and you cna send them out of business if not enough people want to use their service. They are a business and just like any other business they can set their price.

Instead of moaning about what I'm putting on here why don't you get on your bike.

You could say the same about taxis. Prices went up when the price of petrol did, and I've still to see them come down

Bus companies can charge whatever they like, if people are willing to pay it. Why do you think iPhones cost $600?

They're not under any obligation to reduce fares just because costs went down.

half the bus drivers in sheffield dont know the fares, i catch the same bus every day at the same bus stop, yet i get charged 3 different prices, the arguments ive had with drivers over this is laughable but each and every one of them are right of course lol !

Given the fares are programmed into the ticket machine and the driver has to select origin and destination, if the wrong fare is being charged it is most likely the wrong start point or destination fare stage is being used. In such cases a) ensure the driver is clear where you are getting off and b) check your ticket.

Also don't forget some routes have promotional fares plus competing operators may charge different fares so it may be better to be loyal to a certain service. Obviously if you are getting the same bus every time then this won't be the issue!

If you are travelling with Stagecoach all the fares can be found online, if First you can phone their customer service office to check the fare.

If you are commuting daily would a weekly or monthly pass be better value than getting a single every time? If you stick with one operator then its £12 a week or £42 a month*. Or a Citywide on any bus or tram in Sheffield is £17 a week or £63.75 a month*.

* monthly ticket is 28 days unless you subscribe annually.

Edited by Andy C

Bus companies can charge whatever they like, if people are willing to pay it. Why do you think iPhones cost $600?

They're not under any obligation to reduce fares just because costs went down.

Nobody claimed they were.

It DOES highlight to their customers that they are being lied to though. And that (quite rightly) makes people angry.

Companies like to have a good public image, so calling them out on this type of behaviour is useful.

Amazing petrol & diesel prices drop yet no shouts from taxi and bus companies about dropping prices about as honest as extra increases at christmas from taxis because drivers are working the holiday period 90% who don't even celebrate christmas blatant profiteering remember this next time they are screaming about fuel prices also black cabs are more expensive in sheffield than London as us yorkshire folks say ROBBING GETS :rant::rant::rant:

Already been a thread about this - bus companies buy fuel in bulk in advance, plus have many other overheads other than fuel.

Already been a thread about this - bus companies buy fuel in bulk in advance, plus have many other overheads other than fuel.

lol, how much fuel do you think they have stored? BOOM :)