Is it possible to filter out posts from specified Forum members ?

I've always thought that filtering out other people's posts is frightfully lame.

I've always thought that filtering out other people's posts is frightfully lame.

Nah. Absolutely nobody who knows me would say I`d walk away from an argument (as in a debate type argument), quite the opposite. But Forums are different. You get people saying stuff which you never hear in real life, you actually wonder whether they really think what they say or are just arguing for the sake of it, or possibly even trying to convince themselves ! I argue, or as I prefer to call it, debate, frequently, but I never argue/debate just for the sake of it. Furthermore you get some people being personal, which is totally unnecessary, maybe they feel their cloak of anonymity means they don`t need to act with courtesy. Maybe everyone should be forced to use their real names and see if they`re still as discourteous ! Who knows, but what I do know is I don`t want to stoop to their level. And it`s a lot easier not to if you don`t even bother reading what they`ve said.

But the real problem is it`s like when you argue with the wife when you debate with these people. You say something, she replies. You really really just want to drop it but think what she`s just said is wrong, I can`t let her get away with that. So you reply, then the whole cycle starts again, on and on, generally saying the same things or with a subtle variation on them. And it all takes up so much bleedin` time. I`d love it if I (and the wife as well to be fair ! ) could have an ignore button to use when we`re arguing, it`d be fabulous ! And in fact it is on a Forum.

Edited by Justin Smith

As the original query has been answered then I suggest that if you wish to discuss either using or not using the ignore feature that you start a new thread in the general forum.

As the original query has been answered then I suggest that if you wish to discuss either using or not using the ignore feature that you start a new thread in the general forum.

OK by me.......

I've been tempted but never used it. I'd imagine a few use it for me. But not the ones who should, they seem to spend all their time reading my threads, and then commenting how they don't like reading my threads - if you don't like something, why do it? It's like self harm.

You don't half get some characters on here, which is probably the thing the forum now has most in common with Sheffield, an abundance of 'different' people.

I've been tempted but never used it. I'd imagine a few use it for me. But not the ones who should, they seem to spend all their time reading my threads, and then commenting how they don't like reading my threads - if you don't like something, why do it? It's like self harm.

You don't half get some characters on here, which is probably the thing the forum now has most in common with Sheffield, an abundance of 'different' people.

When you`re reading through a thread by definition it interests you, and it`s human nature to be particularly interested in anything which might be about you. So the answer is it`s not that easy to avoid reading stuff that`s not going to produce a positive reaction..... Answer, avoid having to read it.