Is it possible to filter out posts from specified Forum members ?

I`m sure we`ve all been there. We post on a thread and some people - often the same people - write stuff which whilst generally not out and out offensive is either inflammatory or personal or both. You know, they say stuff which nobody ever says when you talk to people in real life and often just seems to be arguing for the sake of it. You end up thinking I really don`t want to go on that thread and start arguing on and on and on.

Is it possible to filter specified Forum members posts when reading a thread ?

You`d possibly need two levels, all posts from that particular member and all posts that include a quote from the specified member.

If it isn`t possible is it worth thinking about ? You hear about all these people who get seriously depressed by some of this stuff on the social media and so on. Personally it doesn`t depress me, it just frustrates me or annoys me, but wouldn`t such a filter reduce much of this ?

Yes if you add that member to your IGNORE LIST,all you will see is a place holder for thier message instead of the message... (You will still see 'QUOTED STUFF' from them that others capture)

I`m sure we`ve all been there. We post on a thread and some people - often the same people - write stuff which whilst generally not out and out offensive is either inflammatory or personal or both. You know, they say stuff which nobody ever says when you talk to people in real life and often just seems to be arguing for the sake of it. You end up thinking I really don`t want to go on that thread and start arguing on and on and on.

Is it possible to filter specified Forum members posts when reading a thread ?

You`d possibly need two levels, all posts from that particular member and all posts that include a quote from the specified member.

If it isn`t possible is it worth thinking about ? You hear about all these people who get seriously depressed by some of this stuff on the social media and so on. Personally it doesn`t depress me, it just frustrates me or annoys me, but wouldn`t such a filter reduce much of this ?

I can never understand. Whatever the subject, you can bet that there

will be replies from the same set of posters. Surely no one can have knowlege

of so many different subjects, as some on here think they have.

Edited by bazjea

I can never understand. Whatever the subject, you can bet that there

will be replies from the same set of posters. Surely no one can have knowlege

of so many different subjects, as some on here think they have.

I`m more surprised they`ve got the time !

But the thing that gets me is when posters start giving what I call "Forum Answers", that is to say answers you`d never hear from anyone in real life. Classic example (not on this forum) was posters maintaining that people should be happy to pay for the brief use of an airport luggage trolley. I mean pay, not put the coin in and get it back, actually pay. And you should not just grit your teeth and pay up but actually be quite happy to pay ! Nobody I`ve ever spoken to on the subject has ever said that ! It`s almost as if these type of posters are arguing for the sake of it and/or trying to wind people up just for the sake of it*. Don`t get me wrong I`m happy debating with anyone face to face, but on Forums there are certain types who, well I`m sure you know.

And why do people have to be personal ? On the subject of which, if anyone thinks I`m ever being personal in any of my posts please tell me, if necessary by PM !

* I do sometimes wonder if they`re simulanteously trying to convince themselves !

Edited by Justin Smith

I dont think I have EVER had anyone on my ignore list on ANY VBB site I am on.. (Or any other for that matter)

I dont think I have EVER had anyone on my ignore list on ANY VBB site I am on.. (Or any other for that matter)

What does VBB mean ?

What does VBB mean ?
I believe it's short for vBulletin board, vBulletin is the company that made the forum software

I think it`s a great facility. I fairly quickly put a few of the more annoying SF members on my ignore list and it was fantastic. I could read constructive or interesting posts on a thread which interested me without having to read personalised stuff and/or arguing for the sake of it. But then, a few days later I thought no, let`s give one of them second chance, perhaps he (I`ll bet most of the annoying SF members are men ! ) was just having a bad day on that earlier thread so I gave him the benefit of the doubt on a different thread and "unignored" him. Possibly unsurprisingly the post was personal and annoying. He went straight back on the ignore list never to return.

It`s a pity you can`t keep a note of who you`ve given a second (or third) chance to on your ignore list. After all, it`s the "serial annoyers" you really want to avoid.

I found a way to restrict your "Ignores" to serial offenders.

Put your SF name + the name of the person you`re considering ignoring + Sheffield Forum into Google. This then brought up all the threads with both of you on them. You can then see what they have said in the past (it`s far quicker if you can use the Google "Highlight all search terms"). If you use the "Cached" function - if available - you don`t even need to fart about removing them from your Ignore list just to see what they wrote (to select Cache click on the inverted green triangle in Google search results).

I used this to confirm that nearly all those on my ignore list are serial annoyers, and they`re not coming back again.

Improve your Sheffield Forum experience, use the "Ignore button" !

Edited by Justin Smith

I believe it's short for vBulletin board, vBulletin is the company that made the forum software
Yup indeed it does esme :)

My favourite SW for a site!!!! (VB3.x and lower)

Does "annoying" mean ones who remember what you've posted before and don't let you get away with ridiculous statements?