Motorway Sunday night closures

My friend got lost due to the poor signage and ended up near Rotherham trying to get back to the M1 !!:(

Had to follow them once after a gig in Leeds and was fine, no issues whatsoever.

Dunno about anyone else...I find map reading a bit tricky while I'm driving...especially if it's dark....and someone once told me it might actually be illegal and dangerous.....Oh and if you pull over, are you suddenly 'gifted' with a photographic memory of the map?

Get off the OP back!...Generally diversionary signs are crap!

Dunno about anyone else...I find map reading a bit tricky while I'm driving...especially if it's dark....and someone once told me it might actually be illegal and dangerous.....Oh and if you pull over, are you suddenly 'gifted' with a photographic memory of the map?

Not a motorway diversion, but I saw one a few months ago while driving along Queen's Rd in Sheffield. A proper professionally made black on yellow warning sign, saying something to the effect of "Charlotte Road closed, make alternative arrangements". if they are going to the trouble of making a sign, then why not at least give some directions?

Most of the motorway diversionary routes are permenantly signed. When you leave the motorway you'll see a sign saying something like "Diversion. Follow â—Š". Then on all the appropriate normal signs will be the chosen symbol (â—Š in my example) with a direction arrow.

The symbols can be found on page 6 of this excerpt from the Highway Code.

The problem is, as I mentioned above, there were at least two diversions operating, or at least signposted, simultaneously. You drive up the slip road off the M1 at Junc 40 and are confronted with two diversion signs pointing in different directions ! One says Junc 41, the other says Junc 39. Only joking ! That would be far too logical and helpful, the other one didn't actually say anything at all. When we finally see a sign with something written on it even then it doesn`t say M1 southbound or Junc 39, it says A638 ! A road which doesn`t even go to the M1 and actually goes E/W when we want to go south (how the hell were we to know there weren`t actually three, rather then the already proved two, diversions operating) !

If you think that`s logical then I don`t think our definition of logical coincides.

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 13:31 ----------

I would only add that most signposted routes are crap ! They generally guide you nearly all the way there, then, when you`re in the middle of an unfamiliar urban area, the signs disappear.

Edited by Justin Smith

I would only add that most signposted routes are crap ! They generally guide you nearly all the way there, then, when you`re in the middle of an unfamiliar urban area, the signs disappear.

I can remember I was coming up the M1 the night they closed a section of it, in order to demolish the 'twin towers'.

I had only very recently moved to Sheffield and had no clue of the locality whatsoever....Signs directed you off the motorway, with diversions...and then?...Nothing....Not a damn sign anywhere....I got hopelessly lost!!

I suppose it was a one off event, but that didn't help me one iota....

it says A638 ! A road which doesn`t even go to the M1

You might want to look at a map sometime.

What road meets the M1 at junction 40?

And as Obelix explained, you do (re)join the A638 during the diversionary route, so if you'd followed the signs, maybe you wouldn't have missed all the others by staying on the correct route? You can hardly blame them for missing signs when you've chosen to ignore one and gone a different direction, simply because you've got a mistaken idea of where a road goes.

in these cases I've always found someone who looked like they knew where they were going and followed them.

... where you rarely end up where you intended to go but often end up somewhere you needed to be.

jb

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 15:54 ----------

That's because they have the little square or circle or triangle signs - you get assigned that at the start of the diversion and you follow that through the diversion route so several diversions can be signed at once.

The signs go up Sun afternoon in Wakefield when there is work on which is every weekend at the moment and then get taken down Monday.

The reason for the A638 appearing is that you go down the A638 (dewsbury road), then onto the A642 (Westgate)and then at the railway bridge back into the A638 (Ings road). You then turn onto Denby Dale Road (a636) to leave town... it's all about map reading...

It is not beyond the imagination that this sign was absent, or badly placed, or behind a lorry...

jb

... where you rarely end up where you intended to go but often end up somewhere you needed to be.

jb

---------- Post added 09-12-2014 at 15:54 ----------

It is not beyond the imagination that this sign was absent, or badly placed, or behind a lorry...

jb

There is more than one sign at each junction approach for this very reason...

We`re getting a little sidetracked on just the diversion signposting, don`t people think 8.00PM is a bit early to shut the M1 on a Sunday night when loads of people are returning home from days and weekends away ?

Oh **** off. It's the least busy time. You will always get some **** who thinks his journey needs to be 15 minutes shorter. You are that ****.

Oh **** off. It's the least busy time. You will always get some **** who thinks his journey needs to be 15 minutes shorter. You are that ****.

8.00PM on a Sunday night is not the least busy time.

Could anyone who thinks I`ve ever been this personal about them on any thread ever please PM me and they will receive a grovelling apology. Thank God for the IGNORE function on Forums.

Edited by Justin Smith