School Admissions - Council Review

Hi

I recently heard and read that the council are looking at possible alternatives to existing child school admission policies. They have recently held focus groups to discuss criteria and will report in the new year.

Three alternatives are being discussed from the current setup which is broadly based on catchment area.

1) Prioritise children that are closest to a school regardless of catchment area. Simple measurement from a straight line

2) Prioritise based on siblings, so all brothers, sisters, step brothers and step sisters are given first preference to a school where they already have a sibling present in. Thereby allowing all siblings to attend the same school

3) Fair banding - All children take an exam and all schools in Sheffield if over subscribed take a selection of children that performed well in the exam and those that performed not so well. Thereby each school getting a broader range of kids of mixed ability. Obviously this means catchment area would not guarantee you a place at your local school.

What are parents thoughts on the alternatives to the current system ?

No one system is perfect but I wondered if the alternatives were better than the current system.

Edited by last warrior
Typo in text

Looks like there is already a thread on this topic, can somebody advise me on how to close this thread ?

Thanks

More importantly, you have missed the opportunity to participate in the consultation.

If any of you have strong opinions, either way, I recommend that you get a letter or email off to them straight away.

I hope my daughter gets to go to Brinsworth comp with her circle of friends

I hope my daughter gets to go to Brinsworth comp with her circle of friends

My sister went there and loved it. Good luck ;)

My sister went there and loved it. Good luck ;)

Thank you :-)