Hillsborough corner Weir, fish?

i was in the new beer Garden at Rawson Spring pub and was watching numerous fish attempting to jump up the weir, I know that salmon do this but surely these won't be salmon. Can anyone tell what types of fish these could be and also will they eventually make it up the weir ?

The furthest I saw them get was about one third of the way up.

Any info would be appreciated.

I would have thought they are trout. but will be interested to see next time I'm

in Rawson's.)

I would have thought they are trout. but will be interested to see next time I'm

in Rawson's.)

they might be on the menu :)

The beer garden is great shame about the beer though.

...shame about the beer though.
Yeah, why is there a large selection of casks at 5.5% plus, very little session ales at 4%ish.

They are trout, which migrate (or try to migrate!) upstream to spawn. The rivers of Sheffield now contain both trout and grayling, neither of which will tolerate polluted water, in addition to a healthy head of coarse fish.

If more of the man-made barriers to migration were removed from the Don, we probably would get salmon back.

Wow, didn't realise that the rivers were doing so well now. Excellent news.

Wow, didn't realise that the rivers were doing so well now. Excellent news.

They've been doing well for a number of years now...quietly and steadily. Species to be caught.........or just looked at, are Barbel, chub, roach, bream, dace, pike, brown trout and grayling. The last two are great indicators(particularly the Grayling) of the presence of any pollutants.

Yes, the water quality is now very good ..... but the river bed, where the bottom of the food chain exists, still has its industrial legacy. I wouldn't want to eat anything from the river, even if it were acceptable to do so! The rivers are wonderful wildlife havens through the city, although still poorly treated by flytippers.

If you are interested in Sheffield's rivers, see the SPRITE (Sheffield Partnership for Rivers In Town Environments) website: http://www.sheffieldsprite.com/.

They are trout, which migrate (or try to migrate!) upstream to spawn. The rivers of Sheffield now contain both trout and grayling, neither of which will tolerate polluted water, in addition to a healthy head of coarse fish.

If more of the man-made barriers to migration were removed from the Don, we probably would get salmon back.

Many thanks Goldhead

Salmon have been caught from the Don in the past couple of years, not far from the City centre.

Yeah, why is there a large selection of casks at 5.5% plus, very little session ales at 4%ish.

They have a couple of nice Bradfield beers on at the mo, Farmer's Blonde-4% and Belgian Blue (my fave)-4.5% (I think)....