It will soon be 75 years since the Sheffield blitz

So sad to see no more from you on what should have been a wonderful thread!

Having said that, the ignorant, and to my mind vicious, comments from the oil man would have put me off too.

I do hope you've continued recording your memories in a more appreciative arena.

Sorry you feel like this, it`s just my opinion of an anniversary that will take place later this year. I will sit under the stairs and eat a tin of spam for a penance.

This was an excellent piece of Sheffield history. We need more people like "Westmoors" not less. I am a history buff, and was born and raised in Attercliffe, although I live in North America now.

Although born after the war, I remember going with my grandma to C & A and around Fitzallen Square, and seeing the damaged buildings. I could not understand it then.

People like the Westmoors help to put a human touch into that time. Write a book, I'll buy the first 50 copies !!

I don't believe the Me109 would have the range to get to South Yorkshire, and they did n't normally carry high explosive bombs. The suspects would be Me 262 or Heinkel twin engine bombers which were the principal Nazi tools of destruction from the air.

But why would they bomb the Sheffield town center ? Nothing strategic there. They needed to take out the factories at Brightside, Tinsley and Attercliffe to do serious damage. My guess is that low cloud obscured the targets and so the German crews had to do some quick estimating.

I have a book about the Royal Navy cruiser Sheffield. Nicknamed the "Shiny Sheff" because the crews were proud of her and kept her well polished. She lasted through the war and saw more action (including the Bismark sinking) than all UK warships, except the Belfast I believe.

Could a naval person write in like the Westmoors did, and give Sheffield readers some more background about this important ship ?

Sheffielders don't promote ourselves or our history enough. Not just internationally, but also against other large cities in the UK. We have to take pride in what we have achieved.

My mum lost a friend during the Blitz she told me how her friends dad was on fire watch duty in Pitsmoor with her dad (my granddad) when they heard the explosion nearby when they got there it was his house that had been hit and he started digging with his hands to try and reach his family I think she mentioned Bresingham Rd but I could be wrong about this.

Just read the thread about the 75th Anniversary of the Blitz, we lived at 161 Leadmill Road/ Manton street a corner shop there were 8 Houses between Shelf Street and Manton Street and two of these had the cellars reinforced and every house had access to these cellars.

Me and my Dad had been to see Laurel and hardy in "Saps at Sea" at Union street Picture Palace and had walked home we then went into the shed in our back yard and we were measuring sugar into the 1 and 2 pound blue bags when the siren sounded me and my Sister were sent into the cellar and were joined by lots more as the Bombs began to drop I remember the whistles of the falling Bombs and we all ducked when the whistling stopped, Being just 9 I was puzzled as to why anyone would be dropping bombs on me as I could not recall upsetting anyone enough to warrant this.

When the all clear went we surfaced and the first thing I remember seeing was Duchess Road School Roof falling in , I thought no School today and up Edmund Road what looked like a giant sea serpent, a gas main had exploded and been blown out of the road.

Of course my Dad being conscientious had walked to Penistone Road where he worked at Newbolds Bread, My Mum decided that her and my sister and me would go to her family home Hoyland ten miles away so we set off and walked through Pond Street, Down Snig hill, and Penistone Road I recall the roads were covered in Hosepipes and burnt out Trams, we learnt later how lucky we were to through as an unexploded bomb was found, so when the Planes came back on the Sunday night we watched from ten miles away.

So like the man said we have survived and one of my hobby's is now waking up every morning, and before opening my eyes I stretch both elbows out if they are not touching wood its going to be a good day and I get up.

Gordon England (Scarborough)

---------- Post added 25-02-2015 at 17:25 ----------

Anyone interested in a web-site detailing the Civilian War Dead all the ones who died in Sheffield are on there but it's in Alphabetical order.

Try Genuki index to the Civilian War dead roll of honour.

Gordon England (Scarborough)