Penistone Road - Hidden train carriages

Driving along penistone road (in the daytime) you can see these hidden train carriages amongst the trees.

At first I thought they were children's treehouses, all sprayed with graffiti but I think they're old train carriages.

They're in the trees here: http://yays.co/:8

Does anyone know anything atall about them? It seems a bit mad!

Old pigeon lofts

My dad used to have his loft just there.

Pigeon lofts, of course!

I'm glad I asked, thank you everyone :)

Did there used to be a lot more of them, or maybe less hidden by the trees? I remember first seeing them maybe 20 years ago, when I'd not been in Sheffield that long, and not knowing what they were, thought they looked for all the world like a Brazilian favela!

Yes, there used to be many more lofts, inhabited by large numbers of pigeons which could often be seen flying over the Langsett Road / Hillfoot area. Here is a link to a 1960s picturesheffield.com photo of some lofts below High House Road, and here is another photo taken from just below Ash Street, looking along the hillside or "Bamforth Wood" as it used to be called.

Yes, there used to be many more lofts, inhabited by large numbers of pigeons which could often be seen flying over the Langsett Road / Hillfoot area. Here is a link to a 1960s picturesheffield.com photo of some lofts below High House Road, and here is another photo taken from just below Ash Street, looking along the hillside or "Bamforth Wood" as it used to be called.

Wow that brings back memories :)

Blimey Hillsborough, you really are an oracle! Doesn't it look different?

Blimey Hillsborough, you really are an oracle! Doesn't it look different?
It sure does! It's rather appropriate that the area is now becoming covered with trees, so that it will resemble "Bamforth Wood" as it is shown on old maps - here is a scan taken from an early 1900s map. The land would clearly have been built on if it hadn't been so steep, but it came in handy for the pigeons..:)

Didn't take long for the trees to grow back did it! Thanks Hillsborough, I do love all your nuggets of local information.

This snicket on langsett road next to the car wash is how you get to the pigeon lofts,inbetween the bus stop and the mini valet sign,

https://goo.gl/maps/oZTmH