Raspberry canes

Hi,

I am starting a new allotment and am looking for some Raspberry suckers/canes that are surplus to requirement, or alternatively other fruit cuttings too. I have a few cuttings/bits and pieces that I could swap if you are interested so just ask if you're interested.

Thanks

B&Q had 5 canes reduced to £2 a couple of weeks ago, they also had lots of this years unsold seeds at 10p per pack

Thanks that's good to know. Is that the one on Penistone road? Also do you know what cultivar they were (i.e. summer vs autumn) though TBH would quite like a mix.

From memory I think they were summer fruiting, they were from Darnall

I have obtained some raspberry canes from B&Q, inspecting them some appear to be sprouting. They are quite long and have read that once planted they should be trimmed back to encourage root growth. This would leave several hardwood cuttings. I am aware that propagation is generally via suckers and I have come across only a few web pages describing hardwood cuttings but nothing RE: the success of them. Does anyone have any success with this method of propagation and if so what did you do??? Thanks

Guest sibon

I took some hardwood cuttings of Tayberry last year. I chopped them off the plant and shoved them straight into the ground, leaving about 6cm of stem sticking up.

Then I ignored them.

They fruited this year.

Method also works almost without fail on blackcurrants and redcurrants, not so much on raspberries (if at all), but why would anybody try when healthy plants throw so many runners from the roots?

I just thought that an immediate boost to my number of canes right now would be nice. The plan is to get a load of suckers next year anyway. Will prune em and see if they take anyhow.

Edited by Andrewkent

Wards garden centre at Troway. 5 canes for £5.99. All look like they have every chance of growing next year. We'll see!