Camera sling type straps

Anyone use the cross body type sling straps ?? I walk with a stick and have a forward lean and neck straps are hard going. I have looked at the Joby sling and an Optech one.The length is of concern as well, I am nearly 6 foot and of heavy build ( not obese). I want my Fuji HS20 bridge camera to hang just below the hip. Does anyone have any recommendations please ??

I've got a Joby Sling, its quite good, reasonably comfortable with a heavy DSLR even after a few hours. Its possibly the most complicated camera strap on the market today.

Having the camera on the hip can cause switches on the camera be knocked if there are any in the way, keeping it at waist level avoids this.

I was going to say have a look at the Pap Strap, but they appear to of gone out of business.

K.

Edited by karl101

I use the Optech,got for about £20 from amazon.very pleased with it but as above keep an eye on the dials when at hip height.

I have used one ,and found it very comfortable.Set it to a height where your hand grips the camera to stop it bouncing aroundand theres no problem. Or they now make elasticated neck straps which are very good at taking the weight off the neck.

I use the Optech,got for about £20 from amazon.very pleased with it but as above keep an eye on the dials when at hip height.

+1 for the Optech sling, very nicely made and has a good amount of accessories to customise to your own needs

I have tried cheapo eBay slings anf they are just that, cheap and crap

The Optech is exceptionally good value, especially when you consider you could be hanging several hundreds (if not thousands) of £'s of kit off it

Thank you for your tips. The Optech does look attractive. Decent write ups and almost half the price of the alternatives..

Thanks again.

Have you considered a wrist strap ?

I have considered a wrist strap but my disability affects my wrists as well as several other joints. One hand is employed using my walking stick. I reckon the Optech sling would fit the bill. A wrist strap would be OK for short periods so I am considering buying both the sling and the wrist strap.

I think using both straps could suit me best.

I use a qstrap set up. Really like it - but can't seem to get to the website at the moment. If you are on the Talk Photography forums, then they are on there and you can speak to them and get advice to check it would be suitable for you.

I use a qstrap set up. Really like it - but can't seem to get to the website at the moment. If you are on the Talk Photography forums, then they are on there and you can speak to them and get advice to check it would be suitable for you.

The Q Strap is just a cheap chinese knock off "Black Rapid" strap, and although the Black Rapid is very over priced the Q Strap really is cheap in the quality department too, i never felt quick safe enough to let my camera hang off mine as i was always afraid something might give, and the stitching didn't last long either with certain parts coming undone after a few months

The Optech on the other hand is a similar price, but 10 times the quality, plus all the wired and wonderful adaptations and accessories available makes it a great choice

The Q Strap is just a cheap chinese knock off "Black Rapid" strap, and although the Black Rapid is very over priced the Q Strap really is cheap in the quality department too, i never felt quick safe enough to let my camera hang off mine as i was always afraid something might give, and the stitching didn't last long either with certain parts coming undone after a few months

The Optech on the other hand is a similar price, but 10 times the quality, plus all the wired and wonderful adaptations and accessories available makes it a great choice

will definitely take note then :) So far, it has been fine but haven't had it that long. Will keep a close eye on it now!

Cheers for the heads-up. (agree about it being a knock off of the Black Rapid)

will definitely take note then :) So far, it has been fine but haven't had it that long. Will keep a close eye on it now!

Cheers for the heads-up. (agree about it being a knock off of the Black Rapid)

I do buy lots off stuff off of eBay and most of the stuff i buy usually comes from the far east, some stuff i have been very surprised at quality wise for the price, some other not so much, but i could have just got a dodgy Q Strap as i'm sure quality control isn't high on their agenda ;)

But when i'm hanging several hundreds of pounds worth of camera gear off it, i'd rather have something i'm 100% confident with