Who was? football question.

The first ever Blades player to be substituted in a league game?

Who was it against?

What year was it?

September 8th 1965, Tony Wagstaff v Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Right year,

Right opposition,

Wrong player according to my records Stan.

Right year,

Right opposition,

His brother?

Right year,

Right opposition,

Your records are wrong pal. My source is Sheffield United: The Complete Record

by Denis Clareborough and Andrew Kirkham. I'd be very surprised if they've made a mistake.

Your records are wrong pal. My source is Sheffield United: The Complete Record

by Denis Clareborough and Andrew Kirkham. I'd be very surprised if they've made a mistake.

I don't know which is correct then, this is Birchenall's Wiki page and they have been known to be wrong.

Nicknamed The Birch, Birchenall soon cemented himself in the Blades first team, endearing himself to the fans by scoring both games against local rivals Sheffield Wednesday in a 2–0 victory at Hillsborough in only his second game.[1] Netting nine goals in his first twelve First Division games he soon formed a formidable partnership with fellow striker Mick Jones who he had played with as a Nottinghamshire schoolboy.[1] In 1967 however, with United seeking to raise funds both Birchenall and Jones were sold in quick succession with Birchenall being transferred to Chelsea. He left Bramall Lane having played over 120 games for the club, scoring 37 goals and having the 'distinction' of being the first Blades player ever to be substituted in a League game (against Fulham in September 1965).[1]

Billy Mosforth was 1st Blades player to be substituted during a league game.

Playing against Bolton Wanderers. :) Owl.

Alan Birchenall,s nickname was "SHERMAN" as in tank.

Billy Mosforth was 1st Blades player to be substituted during a league game.

Playing against Bolton Wanderers. :) Owl.

Wasn't a league game.

I don't know which is correct then, this is Birchenall's Wiki page and they have been known to be wrong.

Nicknamed The Birch, Birchenall soon cemented himself in the Blades first team, endearing himself to the fans by scoring both games against local rivals Sheffield Wednesday in a 2–0 victory at Hillsborough in only his second game.[1] Netting nine goals in his first twelve First Division games he soon formed a formidable partnership with fellow striker Mick Jones who he had played with as a Nottinghamshire schoolboy.[1] In 1967 however, with United seeking to raise funds both Birchenall and Jones were sold in quick succession with Birchenall being transferred to Chelsea. He left Bramall Lane having played over 120 games for the club, scoring 37 goals and having the 'distinction' of being the first Blades player ever to be substituted in a League game (against Fulham in September 1965).[1]

Apologies, you're correct! Birchenhall was the first played to be substituted in a League game, Wagstaff was the first substitute. I got it the wrong way around.

Apologies, you're correct. Birchenhall was the first played to be substituted in a League game, Wagstaff was the first substitute. I got it the wrong way around.

Cheers pal.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wasn't a league game.

You're exactly correct trav , the league started just afterwards , well done :thumbsup: Owl.