Sign in to follow this  

English steels nursery 1940s

I seriously doubt I'd recognize you, and being three and four years old at the time I can't even remember which road it was on, but did anyone else on here have to spend time in the English steels nursery while your mother worked shifts during the war.?

We were living in rooms on Brinsworth street at the time which was just below the Attercliffe Palace and I vaguely remember me and mom used to cross over Attercliffe road to the Woolworth side and walk down to the church to catch a tram, I can't remember exactly where we got off but I'm guessing Weedon street .

The nursery, for preschool kids was for the children of mothers working there and was open day and night for the mothers who had no one to take care of them while they worked their shifts and I slept there quite a few times, but thinking back there didn't seem to be that many of us even in the day time maybe 20 max but that could have been just the group I was in.

There were these little smocks you could wear to keep your clothes clean (probably while playing in a sand pit or painting), I had one with the picture of a sack on the front and remember being told it was because my name was Jack,it was also the first time I had ever encountered small child size flush toilets (funny what sticks in your mind)...

I also have this idea in my head that the entrance was in a cul-de-sac but I could be wrong.

I just wondered if anyone else on here ever went there....

Edited by grinder