HEELEY CITY FARM: Sheffield City Council propose removal of trees!

Those on this forum, and Cllr Bramhall, who mocked me because I revealed my political leanings when I tackled Cllr Bramhall at December's council meeting regarding the destruction of mature trees for unwanted bus lanes, should hang their heads in shame.

I could not attend January's meeting and as such, have not got hold of a copy of the minutes from December.

It would appear that my request to hold things off until the petition had been received and considered is being implemented.

I have succeeded in ruffling feathers and getting the council to have a rethink.

But, let no-one be complacent. As a previous post states, the bus lanes will be firmly back on the agenda after May's elections if the Labour mob keep too many of their council seats.

Apologies for getting Cllr Bramhall's surname wrong in earlier posts.

Use your vote wisely this May.

Heeley City Farm expects!!!

I now have a copy of the minutes of the meeting you attended in December.

As a result I now wish to correct you on a point or two in your post above.

I want to say at the outset that I am unaware of Councillor Bramhall "mocking" you. The minutes I have read do mention you by name (which I shall not disclose on here) but at no point is any mocking tone used. In a succession of e-mails between myself and the councillor he has always shown respect when your forum name has been spoken of.

The minutes show that you did state that the proposed bus lane would result in the felling of 65 to 150 mature trees which would be replaced by saplings. They go on to record the fact that you mentioned an impending petition against the proposal and did indeed ask for a delay until such times as the petition could be taken into consideration.

However, your claims to have "ruffled feathers" and that the reasons for the delay for further consultation and consideration is solely attributable to you are, as far as I can see, way off the mark!

Here is, word for word, what a section of the council minutes show as a true and accurate record of what took place.

"The concerns of local people were taken into account and in relation to the proposals for Heeley, the three ward Councillors and Megg Munn MP had spoken with him (Councillor Bramhall) as Cabinet Member and an open session would be held at Heeley City Farm to discuss the proposals. Further work would be done to achieve the best possible outcome and to ensure that as many trees as possible might be preserved."

Add to this the fact that two separate petitions exist, one of which is 550 strong, and you perhaps understand why I think your claims are as I have stated above.

This issue will very much be reconsidered well before the May elections.

I will keep everyone informed of developments as they occur.

Although it does show muckymurphy's credentials as a politician, and he seems very qualified in a key skill of politics:

Claim everything done by people as your own work, bandwagonning for political gain

Yesterday lunchtime my neighbour and I went to a meeting that was (as far as the council were concerned) between their engineer and overseer of finance for the bus lane project and the Chief executive of the farm.

They (the council reps) were quite unhappy at our presence and said quite pointedly that it was a "private" meeting.

To cut a long story short we finished up staying for the walk around the farm so the new proposals could be explained for the farm chief executive and three members of the farm staff.

Under the new proposals some trees will be spared but the majority are still to be removed.

When the subject of further public consultation was raised by me I was told it wasn't necessary. The council reps said they would contact the farm chief exec next week after he had had time to have a longer look at the revised plans.

It seems the council in their infinite wisdom intend for this project to go ahead at the earliest opportunity.

I asked on more than one occasion what proof they had that a "24 bus lane" on that particular section was a good idea given the minimal disruption in any 24 hour period.

The morning "rush hour" period actually lasts much less than an hour, as most local residents know. That small period is the only Monday to Friday disruption! Of course no clear answer was forthcoming.

So...where do we go next?

Watch this space! I am currently in the process of organising a public meeting to which all interested parties will be invited.

We need to show the councillors and their representatives just how strong the opposition to this project is!

You'll need to change your username from Swami to Swampy :D

My feeling still is that somewhere there is a grant/finances available that rely on some bus lane criteria being filled, and they've chosen that just to put x yards of bus lane in

You'll need to change your username from Swami to Swampy :D

My feeling still is that somewhere there is a grant/finances available that rely on some bus lane criteria being filled, and they've chosen that just to put x yards of bus lane in

I've been called Swampy on here a few times in the past. It's one of the nicer nicknames I've had thrown at me by the troll brigade. :hihi:

I think you are spot on with your feeling. That's how they work.

This is why their consultations are a joke. The decision has always already been made.

Thank you for all the work you are doing on this Swami. It is appreciated!

we'll sone lose our reputation as the greenest city in the uk

We need to show the councillors and their representatives just how strong the opposition to this project is!

Yes :nod:

---------- Post added 24-01-2015 at 12:28 ----------

Thank you for all the work you are doing on this Swami. It is appreciated!

Tis indeed :love:

---------- Post added 24-01-2015 at 12:28 ----------

we'll sone lose our reputation as the greenest city in the uk

Tell me about it BHR!! :mad:

Public Meeting at Heeley Institute on Tuesday 17th February at 7.30pm.

If you have objections to the project or wish to air your thoughts then please come along!

All interested persons are invited to attend the above meeting.

Also invited are the three councillors for the area in question, John Le Corney Farm Manager, Meg Munn MP and Jillian Creasy who is Leader of the Green Party in Sheffield.

On Saturday morning (14th February) at 11pm there will be a walk around the planned route of the proposed 24 hour bus lane to show all interested people exactly what is entailed in the plans and which trees will disappear should it get the go-ahead. The changes to the junction of Prospect Road/Myrtle Road and Midhill Road will also be shown.

If you plan to attend the public meeting this walk around will give valuable insight.

Should anyone require any further information please PM me and I will try and help!

Thanks

At last a meeting when I am not at work.

It is all pointless due the fact that the bridge will still be the same width. If they just put the traffic lights back in the sequence they were in the traffic wouldn't be as bad.

Public Meeting at Heeley Institute on Tuesday 17th February at 7.30pm.

If you have objections to the project or wish to air your thoughts then please come along!

All interested persons are invited to attend the above meeting.

Also invited are the three councillors for the area in question, John Le Corney Farm Manager, Meg Munn MP and Jillian Creasy who is Leader of the Green Party in Sheffield.

On Saturday morning (14th February) at 11pm there will be a walk around the planned route of the proposed 24 hour bus lane to show all interested people exactly what is entailed in the plans and which trees will disappear should it get the go-ahead. The changes to the junction of Prospect Road/Myrtle Road and Midhill Road will also be shown.

If you plan to attend the public meeting this walk around will give valuable insight.

Should anyone require any further information please PM me and I will try and help!

morning? 11pm?

where is the meeting point for the start of this walk around please?

morning? 11pm?

where is the meeting point for the start of this walk around please?

Senior moment! Apologies.

11am.

Meet up next to the post box on Anne's Road adjacent to the main entrance to the farm.