HEELEY CITY FARM: Sheffield City Council propose removal of trees!

Thought this might be a good thread to make people aware of this -

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/camp...d-application/

Ancient wood could be destroyed and replaced with a hotel/service station less than 27 miles from another service station and just around the corner from meadowhall which has sufficient facilities already.

Ah this old chestnut again! Meadowhall isnt a "service station" and cannot be signed off the motorway as such, and 27 miles is actually a significant gap between service stations that needs to be filled.

Ah this old chestnut again! Meadowhall isnt a "service station" and cannot be signed off the motorway as such, and 27 miles is actually a significant gap between service stations that needs to be filled.

No its not but it has hotels and petrol stations surrounding it, and i read somewhere service stations should be at least 30 miles apart?.... also is destroying ancient woodland for something like this really worth it. is another hotel and service station really required that much, and if so there are far more suitbale brownfield sites which are empty just down the road.

No its not but it has hotels and petrol stations surrounding it

None of which are allowed to be signposted off the motorway, given it isnt a service station.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 11:58 ----------

also is destroying ancient woodland for something like this really worth it.

I personally couldnt care less about a few trees when jobs can be created and families are able to put food on their table, but each to their own.

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 11:59 ----------

and if so there are far more suitbale brownfield sites which are empty just down the road.

Nearer the motorway than the proposed location? The point of a service station is its location right next to the motorway.

None of which are allowed to be signposted off the motorway, given it isnt a service station.

just because they aren't signposted doesn't mean the facilities aren't there already. and like i said, if this is really required why does 20 acres of an 800 year old woodland need to be removed when there are far more suitable sites that have been empty and derelict for years close by? if you want to develop an area sureley you should be leaving it in a better state than you found it.

not trying to get into an angry debate or anything just imo the benefits of this proposed development dont outweigh the destruction of the environment.

anyway we should probably leave this thread for the heeley city farm debate, but thought id make people aware as its a similar sort of thing :)

---------- Post added 07-01-2015 at 12:07 ----------

Jobs or trees? Hmm, that's a toughie.

doesn't have to be that simple of a choice, just more sustainable development would be nice. more thought out and in a location more suitable. anyway just wanted to bring it to the attention of those who care.

On a nother thread someone said they had been chopping trees down near the farm this morning. Anyone know anything about this?

Hi locket - a few trees on the Farm site have been felled because they had become dangerous. One had several branches ripped off by the weight of recent snowfalls and it was beyond saving, some others had died and become rotton and could have fallen on someone. Mostly today they were lowering hedges on site. It wasn't anything to do with the road proposals, just general maintenance. I hope none come down in the wind tonight!

Edit Doh! Just read the other thread - trees at the bottom of Mrytle Road I'm not sure about - I went past there earlier and didn't see anything? But that's not to say it didn't happen :)

Edited by HCF2010

Please sign and share if you have not already done so!

Thank you in anticipation!

Where's the link Swami? :)

Thank you. Thought I had missed tying myself to a tree

:P

Thank you. Thought I had missed tying myself to a tree

:P

Wouldn't do that tonight, you'd probably blow away along with the tree! Be surprised if there are any trees left tomorrow

The petition now has 549 signatures. Well done if you have signed and shared.

Despite some dissenting voices on this thread and negative comments form those who, perhaps, should know better public protest does work...as this petition is beginning to prove!

Late yesterday afternoon I received an e-mail from Councillor Bramhall informing me that discussion on the proposed bus lane scheduled for today has now been taken off the agenda until a later date to allow for further consultation and work on the proposal.

It is imperative that we continue to grow the petition and leave the council in no doubt as to the strength of opposition we feel.

Please sign and share if you have not already done so!

Thank you in anticipation!

Those on this forum, and Cllr Bramhall, who mocked me because I revealed my political leanings when I tackled Cllr Bramhall at December's council meeting regarding the destruction of mature trees for unwanted bus lanes, should hang their heads in shame.

I could not attend January's meeting and as such, have not got hold of a copy of the minutes from December.

It would appear that my request to hold things off until the petition had been received and considered is being implemented.

I have succeeded in ruffling feathers and getting the council to have a rethink.

But, let no-one be complacent. As a previous post states, the bus lanes will be firmly back on the agenda after May's elections if the Labour mob keep too many of their council seats.

Apologies for getting Cllr Bramhall's surname wrong in earlier posts.

Use your vote wisely this May.

Heeley City Farm expects!!!

Edited by muckymurphy
correction