Is anyone else getting 'charity / donation' fatigue?

Now I don't mind giving to charity, and often do, in one form or another.

But we've just had 'children in need, now on the breakfast program in the mornings on ITV it's something about giving a meal (collection points in Tesco's and places like that to donate non-perishable foods)...I heard mutterings on the radio this week and mention of Comic Relief (Don't know when that's due. Then there's the 'Do they know it's Christmas' song for ebola....Constant streams of pleas from all sorts of charities on the TV adverts (mostly the minor type stations like Dave...etc)

To cap it all last night there was a tap on the front door (no it wasn't the first indication of a poor plumber), and there was a nice lady there in complete St Johns Ambulance uniform, explaining about the work they do. She was very pleasant and I agreed to make a donation, I went to fetch my wallet and came back and she said, Oh no, I can't accept money (cash). You have to sign up to a direct debit, at which point I politely explained that I wasn't willing to do that, and if she couldn't accept a one off cash donation then I wasn't prepared to give bank details for an on-going direct debit.

I can 'sort' of understand the thinking behind not taking cash, as it completely removes any possibility of pilfering (not that she gave me the impression she would), but I'm not setting up a direct debit and that's it as far as I'm concerned.

Is anyone else just a bit fed up of giving our hard earned away?

I can't stand being approached by charity collectors!

I am always more than willing to pop my change into a collection tub, or a dog chew in the collection bin for animals but as soon as someone approaches me and starts asking me questions I instantly say no thanks! not interested.

The trouble is a lot of these "charity" collectors are making a good living from it - Not very charitable! I always ask how much actually goes to the cause. The recent spate of "ice bucket challenges" only yielded 26% of the takings to the cause - the rest went in admin (wages?) charges. If I give £1 to charity, I want the charity to receive £1. I don't want to see a large percentage of my donation lining someone else's pocket.

Charity is big business, and supports the many people who work in this industry, from the people on the street to accountants and company directors. In an affluent country such as this, there shouldn't be any need for it. I give to 'Charity' by paying taxes.

The trouble is a lot of these "charity" collectors are making a good living from it - Not very charitable! I always ask how much actually goes to the cause. The recent spate of "ice bucket challenges" only yielded 26% of the takings to the cause - the rest went in admin (wages?) charges. If I give £1 to charity, I want the charity to receive £1. I don't want to see a large percentage of my donation lining someone else's pocket.

The trouble is that charities have expenses just like everything else. Rent, fuel etc. Also, the charities found out that if they paid a third party to do the collections, they got more money in. Even when you took into account the "admin charge" needed to employ the third party.

The trouble is that charities have expenses just like everything else. Rent, fuel etc. Also, the charities found out that if they paid a third party to do the collections, they got more money in. Even when you took into account the "admin charge" needed to employ the third party.

Well I know it's small scale, but the St Johns lost out last night with a donation from me...I wonder if they take into account the amount they actually lose in the tactics of the chuggers and door knockers trying to get you to sign up for a direct debit...

Lets face it, everybody 'hates' being accosted in the street and attempts being made to bully them into signing up....I know if I'm walking in the high street, I go out of my way to avoid them...never make eye contact...and if absolutely no choice....issue a firm 'no thank you'....

charity starts at home and ends at home

Charity surely should begin with the most needy, not what borders you just happened to born in, shouldn't it?

For example if a couple of quid could save a life in one country, but not really have any sort of comparable impact upon someones life here in this country. Where should that couple of quid be spent?

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 12:38 ----------

Well I know it's small scale, but the St Johns lost out last night with a donation from me...I wonder if they take into account the amount they actually lose in the tactics of the chuggers and door knockers trying to get you to sign up for a direct debit...

Lets face it, everybody 'hates' being accosted in the street and attempts being made to bully them into signing up....I know if I'm walking in the high street, I go out of my way to avoid them...never make eye contact...and if absolutely no choice....issue a firm 'no thank you'....

I hate it too, I never donate to a chugger or a churgular and I tell them so. If they make a good case I'll go onto their website and take it from there.

Like many other institutions, charities have been corrupted by greed and grown into behemoth corporations, feathering the nests of numerous people on six-figure salaries at the top of them. There should never be any such thing as a charity 'industry'.

Like many other institutions, charities have been corrupted by greed and grown into behemoth corporations, feathering the nests of numerous people on six-figure salaries at the top of them. There should never be any such thing as a charity 'industry'.

I blame Bob Geldof....lol

I always donate my time to charities that I support rather than money.

I just give an annual amount to the lifeboats and that is it.