Does Anyone Remember Bone Cravens?

Hello Rodger Baxby. I remember you at Bone Cravens. 

I joined them in 1966, Cravens {machines) Ltd., then the brackets came off to become Cravens Machines Ltd., then Bone Cravens, then moved to Stroud in 1979 with Bone Cravens Daniels Ltd. 

I retired in 2019 after 54 years in the same industry, with various employers. The 20 years with BCD was the best experience ever. Great people at Darnall and the best tutors.

Did your dad work at Bone Cravens?

I have a Bone Cravens "time capsule" at home ... a toilet seat signed by 43 BC folk and presented to me at the Cat's Cradle, Retford on my stag night, Thursday 30 November 1978. I can probably remember another 50 names.

Fond memories.

On 08/01/2020 at 16:52, Rodger Baxby said:

I worked at Cravens Machines later Bone Cravens and later still Bone Cravens Daniels  from 1962 until 1983ish as an electrician. Don Williams wks. Man. Tommy France works forman, Harry Dalamore, fitters chargehand, Harold Stapleton, pipefitters, chargehand,  Harold Booth, electricians chargehand later Keith Clough.  Remember  Harry Betts, Wilf Slater, Ken Barnes, Ted Shackleton, Mick Flynn, Stuart Keys, Colin Hope, Arthur Pegg,  Jim Carter, Stuart Elam, Pete Johnson, Bob Bumby,  Dave Standbra, Jez Fitzgearald, Phil Keen, Brian Fitzhugh, Dennis McGuire, Vic Harris. Ken Mallender, Stuart Tinker, Graham Tinker. Charlie and Frank (welders). 1 arm Bill on the gate.

Rodger, see my posting on the following page. David Beddus

On 28/12/2014 at 21:48, beezerboy said:

Did they originally make large lathes,if so I've fixed a few over the years . I did 2 years next door at Cravens Homalloy 1964-6

Did you know my Dad, Wilf Shaw? He worked as a jig and tool fitter on the template bench. 

On 08/01/2020 at 21:52, Rodger Baxby said:

I worked at Cravens Machines later Bone Cravens and later still Bone Cravens Daniels  from 1962 until 1983ish as an electrician. Don Williams wks. Man. Tommy France works forman, Harry Dalamore, fitters chargehand, Harold Stapleton, pipefitters, chargehand,  Harold Booth, electricians chargehand later Keith Clough.  Remember  Harry Betts, Wilf Slater, Ken Barnes, Ted Shackleton, Mick Flynn, Stuart Keys, Colin Hope, Arthur Pegg,  Jim Carter, Stuart Elam, Pete Johnson, Bob Bumby,  Dave Standbra, Jez Fitzgearald, Phil Keen, Brian Fitzhugh, Dennis McGuire, Vic Harris. Ken Mallender, Stuart Tinker, Graham Tinker. Charlie and Frank (welders). 1 arm Bill on the gate.

Does anyone know if Jimmy Carter is still around (not big Jim but his son)?

On 20/08/2021 at 13:47, Phil Shaw said:

Did you know my Dad, Wilf Shaw? He worked as a jig and tool fitter on the template bench. 

Was he the one with a huge scar for heart surgery?  It went rom his spine to his chest and looked like apiece of 3/8 " rope.

Yes he was! He was in his 40’s when he had pioneering open heart surgery to get one of his heart valves working properly. He retired at 65 but died from heart failure when he was 70 in 1989.

He was a member of Darnall Horticultural Club and Handsworth Social. Did you ever drink with him?

On 06/09/2021 at 17:20, Phil Shaw said:

Yes he was! He was in his 40’s when he had pioneering open heart surgery to get one of his heart valves working properly. He retired at 65 but died from heart failure when he was 70 in 1989.

He was a member of Darnall Horticultural Club and Handsworth Social. Did you ever drink with him?

I worked wth him on the jigs and fixtures, my bench was opposite his. This would be around '77 _ '79. I had him going nuts one day when he was trying to get some welding done. Our benchs were all connected by a earthing strip which I had cut so I could step on it to break  the circuit. I would let the welder arc but not let him make a run . It was ages before he found what I was doing.

My friends dad worked at Cravens for many years. Does anyone remember Ron Key?