Train route info required

I know we have some very knowlegeable people on here :)

Can anybody tell me what the piece of track under Coronation Bridge in Rotherham serves?

I know it bypasses Rotherham station. Is it freight only, or is it perhaps the main intercity line?

How busy is it?

Much busier than Rotherham Central.

The line going north south line carries all kinds of freight traffic 24 hours a day seven days a week- even if you had a current timetable the trains will very often not keep to this and often run as required. This traffic is heading for Chesterfield and beyond

The same applies to the north to west curve which also has cross country and trans pennine passenger services. The freight traffic along here is heading for Hope Valley and beyond.

British Transport Police have been very active in this area over the last few years.

Swinton Station is a far better and safer place to watch as nearly all the trains also pass through here.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Thanks Annie. It's this line I'm interested in, not the trains :)

Just south of Coronation bridge the train track splits into 3 separate tracks - near to Josephine Road / Holmes Lane junction.

- One line goes under Coronation Bridge towards Doncaster and Leeds (having arrived via Meadowhall direction)

- One line goes to Rotherham Central

- The middle line goes directly into Booth's scrap yard - over the last year there have been London Underground trains parked up on this section but none for the last couple of months (although you can still see the underground trains from Centenary Way)

I've followed the 'other line' that goes under Coronation Bridge and it goes out by Rother Valley Park to Chesterfield

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 20:44 ----------

Between 11.30pm and midnight there is a very long and very noisy goods train that goes by - looks like some kind of tankers

At other times other freight trains are:

- open freight trains full of ballast - usually going north .

- made up of sealed metal units marked GMWDA

- open trucks full of waste metal etc

Passenger Trains are East Midlands Trains, Cross Country (most frequent) and Northern

oh yes, I live next to the line now and the trains go past my bedroom at all times of the day and night one

Edited by Bludragonfly

Through Masborough? It's the line up to Stairfoot where it joins the line to Leeds and Wath and where the old Woodhead line starts up the Worsborough incline

There is no line from Masborough to Stairfoot anymore and no line between Leeds and Wath.

Just south of Coronation bridge the train track splits into 3 separate tracks - near to Josephine Road / Holmes Lane junction.

- One line goes under Coronation Bridge towards Doncaster and Leeds (having arrived via Meadowhall direction)

- One line goes to Rotherham Central

- The middle line goes directly into Booth's scrap yard - over the last year there have been London Underground trains parked up on this section but none for the last couple of months (although you can still see the underground trains from Centenary Way)

I've followed the 'other line' that goes under Coronation Bridge and it goes out by Rother Valley Park to Chesterfield

---------- Post added 27-11-2014 at 20:44 ----------

Between 11.30pm and midnight there is a very long and very noisy goods train that goes by - looks like some kind of tankers

At other times other freight trains are:

- open freight trains full of ballast - usually going north .

- made up of sealed metal units marked GMWDA

- open trucks full of waste metal etc

Passenger Trains are East Midlands Trains, Cross Country (most frequent) and Northern

oh yes, I live next to the line now and the trains go past my bedroom at all times of the day and night one

A quick google tells me that GMWDA could stand for - Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority.

This site is quite useful http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/rotherham_masborough/

Annie, trains don't run 'as required'. Even if they're not in the a WTT period, they still need to be put in the STP timetable.

I didn't mean like a taxi.

WTT working time table trains should run but can be CANcelled

STP Short Term Plan trains these trains should once, a few times or for a fixed period within WTT usually run but can be CANcelled.

VARiations are planned changes to WTT should run but can be CANcelled

The prefix Q refers to WTT trains paths that may become active ie-run 'as required' on paths already planned out months before.

WTT pass Leeds F.L.T. FRGT ZZ Hams Hall Parsec 0009½ (Q)

This train did not run but it could have without causing signalling a bad headcache

STP pass Ratcliffe P.S. 473S ZZ North Blyth (Dbs) 0014 2322½

This was a one off which did cause signalling a bad headcache as it ran an hour early.

Which proves the point that train movements are unpredictable even if you have a WTT.

A couple of websites you may find useful

Someone has overlaid all the rail lines, colour coded, onto a Google Map. Click on the places button to search for an area.

http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

All the trains in the timetable - both passenger and freight - for a specific location can be searched for and tracked here:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced