Christmas lights turn on

The moor was really good, as were the winter gardens. Several workshops for the kids to be creative. Also the fire engines outside John Lewis were popular.

sadly the main event was a let down.

Before I moved to Sheffield we visited when the big Ferris wheel was here. The city centre seemed so vibrant and prosperous, but it seems like it's on the decline.

Hopefully when work on the moor is completed and the castle market work is finished it will return to its glory days.

We booked to see Jules Holland at the City Hall on the Sunday night. Unbeknown to us, it was the same night as the lights switch on. We got into town about 5pm. I have never seen as many people between High Street - Fargate - Pinstone Street and to the Moor foot, It was brilliant! Loads of families enjoying all the rides, food and entertainment. It really did put the Christmas spirit into Sheffield. Well done to the organisers - it was spot on.

Following the switch-on, we had a great time at the City Hall and to top it all, there was a another surprise there. Apart from a great show by Jules Holland and Marc Almond, there was an impromptu appearance by Richard Hawley on stage. Fantastic!:D:):D

The title should be renamed ' Reading Lamp Turn On '

Sheffield's Xmas lights are pathetic compared to other cities.

Anyone see the Star Newspaper tonight ( 25th November ), there was a picture in showing

the Xmas Lights in Sheffield 50 years ago ( 1964 ) - I remember well there being an abundance of lights from the very bottom of the Moor right up to Castle Gate - they used to be worth going out into the city centre to see.

You would think that 50 years on, Sheffield would have Xmas lights better than it had 50 years ago.........NO not Sheffield !

50 years ago it would have cost more to run the displays due to all the bulbs being filament

and of 40watt output - nowadays we have Led bulbs which are cheaper to run, last longer and put out a better light output - so why do we have such a meagre offering from Sheffield City Council ?

Anyone see the Star Newspaper tonight ( 25th November ), there was a picture in showing

the Xmas Lights in Sheffield 50 years ago ( 1964 ) - I remember well there being an abundance of lights from the very bottom of the Moor right up to Castle Gate - they used to be worth going out into the city centre to see.

You would think that 50 years on, Sheffield would have Xmas lights better than it had 50 years ago.........NO not Sheffield !

50 years ago it would have cost more to run the displays due to all the bulbs being filament

and of 40watt output - nowadays we have Led bulbs which are cheaper to run, last longer and put out a better light output - so why do we have such a meagre offering from Sheffield City Council ?

Because maybe the cost of buying and putting up the decorations is expensive, the city is not as prosperous as it used to be in 1964, the Council is skint and businesses still in the city centre are fewer and less affluent. I wouldnt understimate the influence of Meadowhall which attracts large amounts of business, retailers and money awat from the city centre.

Well you were wrong! :hihi:

Ha ha ha. Somehow I thought I was being optimistic.:hihi:

Yeah I agree the Moor was really good!!

How could you say it was rubbish? the 'celebs' were quite Z-list BUT my gosh..Sam Bailey is an amazing singer!!!!!

WOW! she was unbelieveable!!!!!!!

I don't agree that it was rubbish, totally to the contrary. I must admit I haven't witnessed it every year over the last few decades, but the best one was obviously the millennium year. That one must have nearly broke the bank but who will be around in the year 3000 to compare. So please stop the bah humbug attitude and enjoy life.

Have a good Christmas! :):D:hihi::thumbsup:

Who funds the lights? The council are merely dressing a window, the trading companies should chip in, they are the only people who stand to really benefit. The village where I grew up had and has fabulous Christmas lights all paid for by local traders, the council just helps with logistics.

Who funds the lights? The council are merely dressing a window, the trading companies should chip in, they are the only people who stand to really benefit. The village where I grew up had and has fabulous Christmas lights all paid for by local traders, the council just helps with logistics.

Well if that was the case we would have a great set of lights as the traders must make a killing. The trade was good and the prices high.

The trading companies already chip in.

Bet the people of barnsley were impressed with a sex change tranny putting there lights on ! In a town full of ex miners and real men! :loopy: