Steam Engine on Norton Lane, Sunday

2.15pm Sunday 23 Nov. Heard this loud, deep, rumbling noise on Norton Lane, so looked out of the window. Took ages for it to come into view, but it was a beautiful Steam Engine towing a sort of old hut/caravan type of thing. Huge metal wheels .. I was so excited!

It was going up towards Norton Church, so it was heading for the water tower. I'd love to know where it's been, or where's it's going.

I saw it coming up to meadowhead what a beautiful sight to see

I saw it coming up to meadowhead what a beautiful sight to see

It really was lovely and I'm not in to engines and stuff!

Which direction did it come from?

2.15pm Sunday 23 Nov. Heard this loud, deep, rumbling noise on Norton Lane, so looked out of the window. Took ages for it to come into view, but it was a beautiful Steam Engine towing a sort of old hut/caravan type of thing. Huge metal wheels .. I was so excited!

It was going up towards Norton Church, so it was heading for the water tower. I'd love to know where it's been, or where's it's going.

Wasn't there something on this weekend, some Festival or show or something on the horse fields just off the dual carriage way..

I remember seeing something about something this weekend...

The man who owns it lives in Norton Lees / Meersbrook and takes it out for a little pootle most weekends. It's a real beaut!

There's a guy on Norton lees road that owns one it could have been him.

It was heading towards Norton Lees so it probably is that one. Funny I've never seen (or heard!) it before and I've been here 20 years.

I grabbed my camera, but it had mostly disappeared around the corner, leaving a lovely steamy wake.

Bottom of Pearson place left hand side that's his house

I love stream rollers, that thing it was towing was for some where you slept and carried spares, cause engines always nee on going repairs of some kind like leaking pipes, extra bags of coal and maybe water carriers but would love to see one again, I worked at abbydale industrial hamlet as well as maintaining the site I would take bunches of kids round and tell them how old farming tools were made but in a large piece of land at the side, and it was used to keep steam rollers and steam engines there usually 4 or 5 of them and at some point the owners would come and fire them up and take them on a short run to see if there was any problems with it was great to hear these big lumbering machines coming out and on to the road

it came up Abbey Lane, then up to Meadowhead ... wasn't it fab :)

It was lurverly ........... saw it or something very similar a few weeks ago. On a Sunday aswell so might be same. They don't make em like that no more :hihi:

Oh and the smell ................ LOVE IT